Chapter 26: Training and surprises

POV Helena
I get bored, irritated, mad and unfriendly glances from everyone. Some stand there with their arms crossed, a frown edged on their face. Eros stands a few trees further, watching with eagle eyes.

Luke sits a good distance away on a bench looking lost in his thoughts.

"Okay everyone, before we start training I'm gonna give you crucial information you are gonna need. First things first, you are gonna fight in your human forms." Loud protests and complaints hang in the air.

"Listen to me!" I silence them, at least I try. Then Eros orders them to listen to me. I give him a thankful look and go back to where I left off.

"The reason you will need to fight in human form is because we expect you to fight in wolf form. You werewolves rely to much on your wolf side because you think you are stronger then. In some cases that is true but in wolf form you are sometimes more vulnerable then in human form. Besides, how long does it take to shift?  Two, three seconds? Well that's enough time to kill you before you even changed." They listen carefully at me still wary. "To prove it's true I need a volunteer."

When nobody comes forward I use another technique. "Come on, there must be someone who wants to attack me right now, and for this demonstration you won't be punished by your Alpha." Then someone comes forward. A young man with ginger hair, his stance dangerous.

"Stand right here." I point to a spot a distance away from me. I grab a medium branch that's laying on the floor and hold it out like it's a blade. "Go." Then he leaps forward, shifting. I run towards him and just as his paws land onto the ground I'm already jumping over his side holding the branch against his throat and turning us around so I lay on my back and he lays helpless on top of me, paws kicking in the air.

Everyone looks surprised, they talk softly against each other like they can't believe what they just saw. Even Eros looks taking aback. I let the wolf go and he turns back walking behind a tree to come back with pants on.

"See?" I say, feeling proud that I could prove my right. "That's how easy it is for us. And that's why they will never expect to be attacked by wolves in their human forms. We are trained to kill and hunt wolves, not people. Our training existed out of learning how to see on a turned wolf what his weak points are, such as a weak knee, painful wounds, something we can take you down with. Whenever something happens your instinct is to turn and attack and we expect that. And don't think you are strong enough to take a whole group on, cause you aren't. We've been trained from when we turned twelve. Before we just learned the theory. We train everyday for 3 hours straight so we are very much in shape. Then when we show potential we get to go on our first Hunt. Then we have to prove ourselves. We must show that we can track you down, stay hidden, and attack and kill you, then we truly become Hunters and Huntresses. They are murder machines and they won't stop because they were ordered to kill every one of them until there is no pack anymore." They look at each other, letting my words sink in. I see some nod, some are shaking their heads.

Eros steps forward, turning the attention to him. "Now that we know what we must know we have to train, and Helena will show us how." He looks over his shoulder at me before moving out of the way.

Then I've spend the last hour training them like I've been trained but then with the knowledge to take out a Hunter. We are gonna fight fire with fire. I told them we will need archers who will sit in the trees to attack from above. They will never suspect that. Some already offered to be an archer which I was very pleased with.

They didn't protest anymore, instead they listen carefully and cooperate. I showed them how to do man to man fighting. For some it was difficult because they are to known to fight with their wolf instead of trusting their human side. And for others it was like their second nature.

Sweat was dripping down my face as I was fighting with one of pack members. They learned quick and that was good, because in two weeks it will be a fight for life or death.

When we were done I was leaning against a tree, feeling exhausted. Eros came up to me.

"That went well. We've learned much today." He looks at his members who are still training.

"We will have to do this every single day if we want a chance at winning this battle." He nods still not looking at me.

"I want to thank you Lena for helping us." He says it so quietly that I almost don't get it. I want to answer but suddenly I feel dizzy, the world is spinning in front of me. A sharp pain shoots through my neck and it feels like I'm being stabbed. I fall on the ground screaming. I feel like I'm starting to burn up. I can barely breathe.

Eros comes to sit beside me worriedly. "Lena, are you okay? Lena?" I keep screaming from the pain. I've never felt anything like this before. It's like I'm being boiled alive.

He extends his hand out toward my forehead and the moment he touches me all the pain vanishes and I can finally breathe. The place were his hand is doesn't burn anymore, instead tingles erupt all over my skin. Suddenly I feel connected to Eros and as I look up to him I can see this surprises him as much as it surprises me.

This can't be happening!

I'm Eros mate...