ii.

A big cloud of black smoke was seen in the distance, covering the sky with a thick blanket. It could be seen from miles away, signalling where the fight had gone down.

Hopefully the road they had blocked would hinder the Germans from catching up all too quickly. Given the wide crater that ran through the valley, the bridge was the only way to continue east with any sort of vehicle.

They had positioned the T-34 right in the middle of said bridge before setting it on fire and grabbed some anti-tank mines they found in a few of the tank wreckages.

Ivushkin, who stared at the horizon from afar, turned his attention back forward. He sent a silent prayer towards heaven,- not that he believed there was anyone up there. But he could use all the help he could get. After all they were now going by foot, and it would by far be no short trip. Not to mention the additional baggage they had to carry, in form of two injured men.

He stared forwards. Ionov and Stepan wheezed, as they struggled to properly carry Volchok on a stretcher between them. The grassy hill they were walking down was steep and synching their walking cycle was harder than it looked.

What was also harder as it looked was carrying an unconscious Jäger, who Ivushkin had thrown across his shoulders. He figured the easiest way to transport him was by splitting his weight and holding one foot and one hand of Jäger with one of his own hands. He used the other arm to keep balance, which was hard considering the uneven terrain they were dashing down.

The moment Ivushkin had found a comfortable position for himself, he noticed Jäger had fallen unconscious, for his injuries were too painful. Ionov had muttered something like 'poor bastard' under his breath, but pretended he didn't when Stepan sent him a stern look.

Despite having to carry Jäger, Ivushkin couldn't help but brood. The SS and German soldiers would soon be everywhere, given they wanted to catch them before they crossed the border. And knowing the Germans were always seeking for revenge after a humiliating defeat, they were definitely after them now.

Ivushkin gave a long sigh.

First of all they needed to find Anya, who was still hiding somewhere on this field. Afterwards, they needed to keep heading east. Ivushkin hoped to not encounter too many difficulties or resistance. With a bit of luck, they could avoid getting spotted by any German soldiers.

Suddenly, Ivushkin perceived something from the corner of his eyes. A familiar light brown vest was laying in the grass, and he knew exactly who was enveloped in it. A tearful Anya jumped up the moment they advanced towards her, and a joyful squeal left her lips.

She ran up to them, waving her hands happily, though significantly slowed down once she could make out who Ivushkin was carrying. Her initial thought of him carrying a fellow Russian was proven wrong when she noticed the uniform the unconscious man wore.

Eyeing Jäger for a long moment, she swallowed hard, then began giving each and every one a tight hug. Despite the unwelcomed company, they were all alive. They were all alive, hell, even Volchok, who the crew thought was a goner. Even he pulled through.

It was truly a miracle.

The last hug was reserved for Ivushkin, who got it after she finished with the others. Her arms wrapped gingerly around his torso and soon her head was buried in his chest. He himself had only one free hand to return the gesture.

Ivushkin had always felt the sparks between them, but it hadn't grown into anything- yet. They were interrupted by Jäger and his crew before she could kiss him in the forest, but both were very much aware of what she wanted to do.