iii.

Even though Ivushkin was hungry, his senses had never been sharper.

He perceived the small smack of his shoes whenever he stepped into the still wet grass and his foot sunk a bit into the mud beneath. He smelled the fresh air and hardy wood and most of all, he heard the painful breathing of Jäger besides his ear.

His foot was definitely not getting better the longer they waited, that much was sure. He didn't want to imagine what Volchok felt like.

Their targeted house came closer, and they were still hidden stealthily in the shadows the trees surrounding them were casting. Carefully and slowly, to minimize the noise, they advanced towards the front door. Luckily, the window next to the door was obscured with a curtain and Ivushkin signalled for the other two to wait.

They were confused, though did as he demanded and hid behind a conveniently placed bush.

Gingerly, Ivushkin continued forwards.

He flinched when Jäger suddenly whispered, "Bist du. . bist du sicher dass das Haus verlassen ist?"

Are you. . are you sure that this house is abandoned?

He shook the frost in his veins off and walked until he reached the porch. Setting Jäger down and making sure his uniform and emblems were seen, he positioned him against the wooden railing nailed to the front of the porch.

Jäger stared at him with wide eyes, the vivid pain that once clouded his eyes now forgotten as realization struck him.

"Nein- du kannst nicht-!"

No- you can't-!

Ivushkin slapped a hand over his mouth before he could speak any further. Fear drove him as he placed a hand over Jäger's leg and pressed down, causing the German to squint his eyes closed. The cry was muffled by his hand and with icy eyes, Ivushkin spoke slowly, "Stay silent."

They held eye contact for a few moments and Jäger understood. He nodded slowly and Ivushkin retreated his hand. Jäger's breaths were hard as he reached down with his hand and pressed down on the skin surrounding his now pulsing injury, trying to soothe it.

Ivushkin stood up, nodded towards Jäger, then his crew one last time-, before knocking three times against the wooden door. Then, as quick as he positioned Jäger, he hid around the corner of the house and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

His heart was beating so fast and loud, he swore anyone in reach could easily hear it. It was pounding loudly in his ears, to the point he wondered if he could hear the door opening. What would it reveal? A mother and her family? Or a strong man and a couple of even stronger sons? He really didn't want to kill any innocent civilians, but he won't pretend like he wouldn't do anything to save his crew.

His fingertips tingled and his grip on the rifle tightened. Did he knock loud enough? Did whoever was inside hear him? Or would the house really be empty in the end?

A creak was heard, Ivushkin petrified and pushed himself tighter against the wall.

A gasp and a distressed German call.

He carefully glanced around the corner. A woman bent over Jäger. Jäger and Ivushkin made eye contact for a split second, his blue orbs begging him to not kill her.

But this wasn't why they were here. He didn't want to hurt anyone. Reassuring was that she did not hurry back inside to get her husband- or her son, to let a stronger person carry him inside. No, she didn't even call out for help.