Grave Danger Chapter 3

"I still can't believe you couldn't get him." Jackson snorts.

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, I know that, you made it clear. It's a done deal now, so stuff your face."

"What, problem? Why did you freeze up, anyway?" he leans across his desk toward me.

"Shut up."

"What was with you trying to rat me out, too? What's your problem today?"

"I said shut up." I say.

"Yeah, well I don't take orders from you."

"You're so immature!" I scowl.

"It's just like I said in the chief's office." He leans back in his chair. "You've been spoiled since birth."

I stand and storm into the chief's office. "Oh for crying out loud, learn to knock!"

"I want to go out and patrol alone." I state.

"You can't do that/" She says sounding annoyed.

"Then I'll take someone else. Aren't there some new recruits who need exposure or whatever? I'll take one of them!"

"Actually Raven, there aren't any new recruits. And even if we did, you're not in a position to train them."

"Is Jackson?" I glare.

She stares at me for a moment. "Raven,... You can be excused for the day."

"What?"

"Go home." she says sternly.

I bite back words I know I shouldn't say to her. "Fine." I turn and walk out.

Jackson gives me a stupid smirk as I leave, I respond by extending my middle finger in his direction.

Conveniently I rode the bus today, so I decide to blow off some steam walking all the way home.

About a block away from my house, my phone starts ringing.

CHIEF WOODROW

"Hello?"

"Raven, you need to come back to the station. He got out."

I practically drop my phone. "H...He what?"

"Hurry up!" She hangs up.

I turn around and speed back in the direction of the police station.

I walk in and see the chief talking with Jackson, who's holding a blood stained tissue to his nose. She looks in my direction. "Raven," I race to meet her at Jackson's desk. "I'm gonna need you to go after him, we've got multiple officers already patrolling around town." I nod and she walks away.

"What happened to you?" I ask Jackson, trying my hardest not to laugh, He totally deserved that.

"Don't talk to me, you dirty liar. I'm not in the mood." He grumbles,

"Excuse me? Why am I a liar?"

"You said you didn't know that guy." he huffs.

"I... don't." Though it hurts to say, it doesn't feel like a lie. I don't know him anymore. I haven't seen him in four years. I was convinced he was dead. When I knew him, he wasn't like this. He wasn't a criminal. He didn't rob stores or hurt people. Sure, I used to know him. But I really don't anymore.

"Stop lying!" He spits. "He grabbed me by the shirt collar and said "if you ever touch Raven again, I swear you'll regret it", then he socked me in the nose and ran off!"

...What? He would never do something like that. Who is he?

Jackson glares at me and walks off.

I sit silently for a few minutes. He obviously didn't die four years ago, so where has he been? Why did he just finally come back? Why is he a criminal now?

"Dawson." The chief gives me a look. "You have to go now."

"Right." I say quietly.

I race out the front door and sprint down the street, heading straight for my house.