4 | The Invite

Y/N

_

I ran all the way to Central Queens Academy, my heart pounding like the beat of a drum.

It's strange how quickly your life could change in just one moment.

My backpack swung wildly behind me as I slipped through the busy streets of the city, the same scene playing over and over again in my head.

Congratulations

Congratulations

Congratulations

I skipped up the steps to the school, swinging open the metal doors and hurrying inside. The sleek hallways were empty, all the students pushed inside thier classrooms.

You got the spot

You got the spot

You got the spot

I glanced at the clock as I ran, trying not to slip on the smooth, tiled floor. I was supposed to be in gym class, which was a bit further down the hallway. As soon as I reached the locker room, I shoved my bag in my locker and changed into my gym uniform.

Scrambling into the gymnasium, I tucked a stray peice of hair behind my ear, and blended into the scattering of students. Daisy, my friend since preschool, was in the corner of the room, laying on a mat.

"Hey!" I yelled, running towards her, "I made it!"

The girl looked up, sticking out her bottom lip. She was wearing a new lip-gloss, and had her strawberry-hair pulled up into a tight ponytail.

"You're still late," she said accusingly, "hold my feet, will ya'?"

She fell back onto the mat, her gym shoes pressed together. Pressing down on her toes, she began to lazily do sit-ups.

"You'll never believe what happened today," I grinned, "I'm still in shock."

"Doubt that, I'm pretty good at believing things, try me."

"I almost died, got saved by some incredibly cute boy, and then got the job!"

"All I heard was, incredibly cute boy," Daisy said, smacking her lips together, "elaborate."

"He's the one who saved my life," I explained, "there was this moment where we just connected."

"Soulmates?"

"I don't think so?"

"Then why are you so stuck on him?"

"Fair point," I nodded, "I'll probably never see him again, to be fair."

Daisy sighed, and kicked her feet out from under my hands. Sitting up, she tucked her legs into a criss-cross position and smiled. Daisy wasn't one to stick to a conversation, it was in her nature to do so, but I could tell some part of her genuinely cared about what I had to say.

"Listen," she said, "do you remember Liz Allen?"

I shrugged. Liz Allen used to go to our middle school, but we ended up splitting ways freshman year. I didn't know her very well, but I remember that time she lent me a spare shirt when I spilled ketchup all over mine.

"Yeah," I smiled, "she was nice, why?"

"I heard she's throwing a party on Saturday, for her Midtown friends."

"She goes to Midtown now?"

"Yeah, but that's besides the point, do you want to come?"

"Are we even invited?" I asked, tugging at my gym uniform, "I'm not sure I'd want to hang around a bunch of MSST kids."

"I ran into Liz this morning at Benji's, and she did in fact, invite us."

"But we won't know anyone there! I can literally envision the awkwardness of going to that party."

"I knew you'd say that," she grinned, reaching into her pocket and grabbing her phone, "so Liz and I made a plan!"

"Since when did you and Liz make plans? We barely knew her."

"Totes forgot to mention, but I ran into her a lot over the summer," Daisy continued, "so we're pretty tight now."

"Right..." I sighed, "what's the plan?"

Unlocking her phone, the girl flipped it around to show me a picture of a boy. He had messy black hair, and a blinding smile, and a stunning background of a beach behind him. He was also shirtless... so I glanced away from the phone uncomfortably.

I didn't have a problem with guys without shirts, don't get me wrong, it's just awkward to see a guy you barely know showing off his pecks in your face.

"Brad Davis," Daisy introduced, "Liz and I think you'd be a nice couple."

"Excuse me?"

"Oh relax, he's cute!"

"But I don't know him!"

"You don't know that guy who saved your life, either."

I frowned, flopping onto the mat. She had a point, but I wasn't sure about this whole plan. Whoever this...Brad Davis person is, he could be a jerk. Or crazy. Or boring.

"I'll be with you the entire time," my friend assured, "if you don't like him, we can leave."

I thought about it for a second, staring up at the dirty ceiling. The fan above me spun quickly in circles, hypnotizing me into the same repetitive feeling I had on my way here.

Congratulations

Congratulations

Congratula-

"Fine," I said, cutting off my thoughts, "I'll go."

_

quick heads up!

Brad Davis is the same age as y/n in this story!