17 | Slipped Out

Y/N

_

For Bucky's sake, New York was cold.

I stood shivering outside of Peter apartment complex, ringing the doorbell. To be honest, I would have been wearing some warm sweats, but instead I was wearing heels and a dress-skirt (the sweats were in my backpack). What? Tony said I could wear whatever I wanted in the workshop, so I brought a change of clothes.

The sound of someone picking up echoed out from the speaker, and I heard May's voice loud and clear.

"Hello, this is May. who is this?"

"It's y/n," I answered, trying to rub the goosebumps off my arm

"Oh! Hey!" she exclaimed. I think she forgot to take her hand off the speak button, because I could still hear her next words, "Pete! Your girlfriend's here!"

I could also hear Peter's faint voice from in the background, "mAy! She's not my gIRlfrienD!"

"Well she's waiting for you outside!"

"Where are my shoes?!"

I laughed, shaking my head. Mornings with the Parkers were very eventful, it seemed. I waited a few more minutes, until I saw Peter run outside of the apartment doors, his backpack swinging wildly behind him.

"Did you find your shoes?" I grinned, watching him come to a skidding stop in front of me.

When he heard my question, his face turned beet red, and he opened and closed his mouth in embarrassment.

"You heard that?" he mumbled, "sorry, May likes to tease me."

"It's all good."

"Ready to go?"

"I brought you breakfast," I said, shoving a brown bag in his direction, "I made it this morning."

It wasn't anything special, but I was making my own avocado toast, and the random thought popped into my head. I just hoped he liked avocados.

"Avocados!" he beamed, "I looove avocados!"

Well, that answered my question. As we began to walk, I could see Peter's eyes flutter to my arm, where a line of goosebumps was trailing along my skin. It was my fault, I forgot to bring a sweater, and now I was walking down a cold street with my arms all exposed and-

"Here," the boy said, taking off his blue jacket, "take this."

"Peter, I'm okay, you don't-"

"I'm not cold," he smiled, "I'm a spider."

"That's half-human."

"That's also trying to be nice? Just take the sweater, I don't want to see you cold."

I took it out of his hands, sliding my arms into the sleeves, "thanks."

He opened his mouth to respond, but was cut off by the sound of his cell phone ringing. Well, not ringing, but the sound of a text. As he took out his phone, I averted my eyes to avoid snooping. I don't like to be nosy, and I wasn't trying to be, but I caught a glimpse of a name written on the screen.

Daisy ⚘

Just by seeing those letters, suddenly I felt cold again. I didn't know Daisy gave Peter her number...or maybe he asked for it? Either way, my stomach started to fill with butterflies. Wait, not butterflies, jealousy. I knew I would have been disappointed by seeing the name, but when I saw the flower emoji he put next to it, it sent me a little overboard.

A flower emoji! Come on!

"So..." I started, trying to get my mind off of it, "what do you think Friday's going to teach us?"

He shrugged, his fingers typing away at his keyboard, "probably quantum physics?"

"Again?"

"I mean that's the whole point of school, right?" he laughed, "to go over topics for more than a day?"

He still wasn't looking up from his phone. I don't know why, but I was itching to get him to stop typing. To stop paying attention to Daisy, and to pay attention to the girl walking next to him. I can't explain why I did it, but I just boiled over, and the words slipped out.

"Do you want to hang out after this?" I said, "like, after I'm done in the workshop?"

Screw Daisy.

No! Don't screw Daisy! I instantly felt guilty asking, because that meant I broke the code. Daisy was obviously interested in him, and by asking Peter to hang out in that manner was clearly betrayal. It was an awful thing to do...

Peter finally looked up from his phone, his eyes lighting up. Clicking the device off, he slid it back into his pocket and nodded.

"Y-yeah," he stammered, "that'd be great!"

"Really?"

"I mean, yeah, what did you want to do?"

I'm such a horrible friend. Horrible, horrible, friend. But it was too late, I already asked, and he already accepted.

"Whatever you wanted," I said softly. Horrible!

"Want to go swinging with me?" he offered, "I like to patrol at night, and I can take you."

"Swinging in the sky?"

"Orrrr....we could go to a park? Whatever swinging you'd prefer."

"The sky," I nodded, "I'd like that."

Screw Daisy.