XV

A|N: guys this is it, the scene that started this all, I had this in my head since before the first chapter, get hyped! It's not happy but hell if it wasn't fun to write :)
But I should give a ⚠️ WARNING, because it's a more graphic scene involving heavy mental and physical abuse (if you think any of my previous chapters should include warnings as well please let me know, I'm not entirely sure where that line starts for everyone and want to be sensitive)

SOOT

I hadn't seen him since stepping off the carriage. The festival had started—vendors and performers from everywhere flooded the castle courtyard and the streets of the kingdom. The grand ball was in two nights, and Madalena had just summoned me to try on the robes she had ordered to be tailored for me. Though in my current state I wasn't sure that I wanted to go through the hassle.

And while there were many people in the castle for the festivities no one had stepped foot into the grand ballroom except to clean and prepare it for the night of the full moon. I was one of those people, and I had spent every second since my return (except for a few hours of sleep and the time it took to give me a good lashing) scrubbing every inch of the white marble floors.

My punishment even included not being allowed to sleep in my bed in the slave quarters. I had to sleep wherever I could sneak it in, mostly I had been so exhausted that I blacked out on the hard marble. Once it had been on my way to the stream to refill my bucket, and I'd woken up with dirt in my mouth.

Overall my body was sore and I was ready for the ball and the festivities to be over. I wanted nothing more than to just collapse and let go of my body. I felt so close to it, to not moving ever again and it sounded blissful.

Grimm had become the one true light in my life, every second I was with him was nothing but goodness, and every second away I wanted to go back to him. He made me feel safe and in return I would give him everything I had, the comfort and companionship, the soft touches and kind words I had seen him blush at.

I knew there was no way he could accept me after I told him of my mark, no way anyone would allow a—a slave to— to be free. Not when I was damaged, not when I was still of some use. And I wasn't even sure how long I could continue being useful.

It would end the night of the full moon, my one chance at rest would be cut at its heels. I wasn't sure how I would manage that, but I'd gotten over pain before, I could only hope I could do it again.

—————
I shook my head leaving Madalena's room. I couldn't believe what I had seen in there, what was meant for me—to wear. My whole body had shook when she first showed me, and I was sure she had been joking, because—because there was no way I was worth the money I knew she had paid for it.

Madalena had rubbed my arms in gentle circles when I had sat down in shock. It wasn't right. I couldn't wear that. I just couldn't.

But she teased me, gently, to brighten my mood. "Mostly I made it because I think when my cousin sees you he'll faint. Make a fool of himself in front of all those foreign kings and queens and suitors to the prince."

She had asked if I wanted to try it on but with the grime covering my body, and the just barely healing wounds to my back I told her that it would be more magical to see it on the night of the ball. I knew she would go on another tantrum anyway if I told her the real reason.

I still didn't understand why she cared so much about a slave, why she got angry that I'd been punished. Why she would have the royal tailor sew me something worthy of the prince...

But as much as I tried I couldn't get it out of my head. The cloak was gorgeous. It was attached to a pantsuit that laced up the back. The whole ensemble was created with silk a shade of blue so light that it was nearly white, and had little crystals sewn to chest. The sleeves were deep blue, and made of the same fabric that would come high around my neck, high enough to hide the brand on my neck. The cloak though was the real beauty, I barely saw it at first. It started at the shoulders sewn on with velvet and golden rope that made the whole thing look regal. But the cloak, the cape, the train, was so sheer that the crystals sewn into it appeared to be suspended in mid air.