XXIII

Warning: possible graphic, gore, torture, trigger
Also sorry for the late posting :/

GRIMM

The full moon had been forgotten, I hadn't thought of having a mate in two days, the castle had been on strict lockdown for three nights, and finally my father had summoned a royal hearing.

I had been restless since midnight struck and the full moon reached its peak nights ago. There had been such an immense flood of power at that moment that I had nearly thought Princeps had taken over again. But the beast only growled contentedly in the back of my mind, before he retreated completely and my body collapsed beneath me. He hadn't reacted to anything since and I would have been more worried if I hadn't been locked in my chambers directly after, worrying a path into my floor.

Even being so close to getting answers I was itching more than ever with thousands of unasked questions. Every time I had opened my mouth however, my father had held up a hand to silence me. Though I was supposed to take the throne the moment I found my mate my father treated me as a child. I wasn't sure he remembered all the lessons and practice he'd given me just so I could be a great king. It was if I did nothing more than sweep floors.
The throne room had been built to accommodate bodies. There were sections for different groups of people. The clave, our kinds elders, priests and philosophers, held a section of seats to the left of the throne dais. And like clockwork moving around the room were sections for the noblemen and women, the healers, guests to the king and country, peasant folk, and anyone who wished to hear the voice of the king, the voice of my father. The sight of so many gathered was impressive to behold as I entered the room.
It had taken time for the guards to get everyone settled and I had been forced to wait in a side room with my father for nearly an hour. It was times like these when I hated the formalities of being royal.

I shifted in my throne and turned my head slightly to my father. He was regal as ever, shoulders back, hair combed, face clean shaven. But this time he held a look of deep sorrow on his face. It was a look he told me a king should never wear. I caught his gaze and he seemed to sadden even more just looking at me.

"You will be king one day, I hope you will reign without guilt, and remember this moment and know then that I am sorry, but I had to make a decision."
My fathers voice didn't waver but it was so soft and broken, it was barely loud enough for me—a grown alpha Were—to heat. I frowned and tried to speak, to ask him what he meant but he turned away from me. He faced the room and the sorrow faded from his face.
"You all may have been wondering why I ordered for the lockdown of the castle." He sighs. "I am afraid that on the night of my son's mating ball, the night of the full moon one of our palace guards, a most trusted and brave knight, was murdered."

I snapped my head around searching for Wolf in the lineup of soldiers and knights. I couldn't see him anywhere. The crowd settled down and I looked to find my father holding a hand up.

"It is a great loss, but it is one I can bring justice to. The murderer has been caught and questioned. He will stand trial here today, in front of our priests who speak for the goddess, and in front of visitors of many kingdoms who will see with unclouded eyes. And most of all he will stand before the family of his victim."
My fathers voice ring with finality. It seemed to pull a latch allowing the grand entrance doors to swing wide. Two knights stalked through the doors, walking tall and proud, I would have assumed they were walking on a battlefield after killing all their foe. Their armor shone without blood or dents, it contrasted sharply to the heap of rags between them. I wasn't able to swallow as I realized that the heap was a person. They stopped and dropped the prisoner to the ground, leaving space between our thrones.