XVI

PRINCEPS

Our talons gouged into the stone. Light flashed and cracked outside laying our shadow on the wall.

The human jerked in our head, he was surprised to see our full form. We'd never shown him all of us before.

Our maw opened in the humans show of happiness, in our show of threat.

He was thrashing, he didn't like us being in control. But he didn't hear what we did. That scream, it called to him and he couldn't hear it. He tried to wrestle control from us, it felt like a rock to our skull.

We growled in warning, the hair on our shoulders standing upright. We could make him forget, knock him out of conciseness if he didn't stop.

He silenced himself.

These halls constrained us. Our back rubbed along the ceiling even while walking with the help of our arms like some ape.

We could hear heart beats behind every door, hear breathing, smell infants, smell sex, smell sleep.

We could smell the crier too, smell tears he'd already shed, already dry on the stone floors. They were old, maybe a half of an hour had passed but we still smelled him.

We let our claws sink deep into the walls, marking our territory, letting our pack know we were upset. We were Alpha and one of the pack was hurt.

We heard the hearts before we saw the pack, two of them rounded the corner.

"Palace guard" the human told us

We huffed in their direction, they moved out of our way, their fear stinking up the hall as we passed.

"Call for the king, I'll follow." One of the guard said.

"What is it?" The other asked.

We growled deep in our chest, baring our canines to him. We are your Alpha, pup.

"It's Caspian."

The human fought again in our head, he did not understand. We pushed him back back back into our head where he wouldn't be able to see until we were done.

Light flashed again and smells of rain clogged our nose. One of the human windows was open letting the smell of wet cover the trail.

We howled deep in anger. We called out to the pack, to the member who was hurt. Our Mate.

We had to find him. We charged through the halls growling and baring our teeth to pack members who wandered into our way. They were puny beneath us. They needed our protection. The size of our paw, they were ours to keep safe.

There were smells everywhere, some pack and some not. We smelled orc, pixie, fae, wicken, vampire, dryad and wizard. They all filled our nose. We couldn't find his sent.

We found a room with taller ceilings, we could stand upright now. There were more of those windows and two big doors.