52. go boy

Chapter 52 — go boy

"What are you doing here?" Stanley asks as soon Elliot opens the door.

Although he was expecting the question, Elliot is still taken aback and scowls at him, crossing his arms, "I could ask you the same thing,"

"Tim told me you were back,"

Tim had gone to the same high school as them, and is one of the few ones who chose to stay around — most of them had already left to different places. Elliot would have been under the 'most' list if only he hadn't come back.

"Well I guess I am," Elliot shrugs in a noncommittal manner.

"Why?"

"What is it to you?" Elliot snaps and then exhales loudly, rubbing a hand down his face — he hadn't meant to sound harsh, it's just that's all he's been asked ever since he came back, and he is tired of answering it, especially when he himself doesn't know the answer. "I'm sorry," he sighs, "Wanna go somewhere else?"

⋘⋙

"I missed this," Elliot said in between bites of his burger.

The two old once-friends are at Stack Shack, one of the diners near their neighbourhood.

Stanley simply nods, looking at Elliot curiously. He has only ordered a milkshake which still remains untouched in front of him. He is too busy trying to figure out the boy before him.

"Are you gonna drink that?" the curly-haired boy refers to the milkshake, having finished with his drink.

Stan pushes the glass towards his friend, still quiet.

Then a few minutes later, utterly failing to comprehend the boy before him, he sighs — it's always been like that, it is almost impossible to read Elliot when he is all closed off, he doesn't even know why he bothered trying in the first place.

"Why are you here?" Stanley asks at last.

"Mmm?" Elliot raises his eyebrows, his mouth filled with the cold drink.

"You heard me — what are you doing back here?"

The curly-haired boy lifts a shoulder in a half-shrug, "I live here?"

"You lived here," Stanley states pointedly.

"My parents still live here,"

"So?"

Elliot huffs and then leans back, shooting a glare at the boy before him, "What do you want me to say?"

The brunette doesn't say anything and just looks at him for a moment, and then a few minutes later, exhales slowly, "Are you here because of.... what I told you?"

Elliot glances away, and doesn't offer a response, just remains still. He regrets opening the door earlier, he should've just stayed in his room, and let him think no one was at the house.

Stanley curses under his breath and out loud as well, "Are you fucking dumb?"

Elliot flashes him a sharp look, and grits his teeth, "You are the one who was trying to convince to come back here all this time. I'm here now, what more do you want?"

He rubs his temple with his fingers, "Jesus," he breathes out, "You really are dumb,"

"Call me dumb one more time–"

But the boy isn't listening to him anymore, he stands up on his feet, "Come on, let's take a walk,"

"So you can call me dumb some more?"