manip| rainbow

You know how rainbows are supposed to represent something nice, something pretty? Their gentle and bright colors are always related to fantasy. Throw a couple of unicorns in there, tone down the colors a bit (or don't, if you're feeling edgy) and you've got yourself a party! Right?

Well, that depends on who you're asking.

I can give you an example where rainbows aren't happy and cheery.

This simple manipulation was inspired by a novel we had to read in middle school. 

Once upon a time, there was a girl named Brunhilda (but everyone called her Doe because she was gentle, playful, tall and lean, much like a doe). She spent her days looking out of the window, watching how the children played and laughed. She wanted to go out and play with others, run in the fields and have fun.

But she was unfortunate enough to be born into a noble family - and society was very strict towards girls of noble birth. They were to stay inside and make sure that their skin stayed pale. The only time they were allowed outside was in the evening, and even then they would stroll through a single street.

But if she were a boy, she wouldn't have to do that. Her life would be so much more beautiful, easier, too!

In autumn, on a rainy day, Doe's parents took her to a vineyard. There, the girl met a handless seamstress Sava who told her a sad tale of her life - how she lost her hands, how she earned money by showing people her skill, how her husband married her for that money and left her after she had given birth to a little girl. Sava told Doe of a legend that said if a girl would to run under a rainbow, she will become a boy.

After a while, a rainbow showed on the sky. Doe ran towards it as fast as she could, but the poor girl didn't notice how far she had gotten from the vineyard or look what was beneath her feet. She fell in a lake and drowned. Her body was found five days later.

Doe's parents mourned their daughter. They realised how tough they were on her and how their little Doe only wanted to play outside like everyone else. One evening, mother and father held their hands and jumped from the top of the castle in the wild river beneath.

Not exactly a happy story, and it stayed etched in my memory to this day. Remember to always listen, talk and try your best to understand others. <3

Okay, I teared up a bit, so I'll move on before this escalates! The process itself was fairly easy, I've found the perfect stock photos and all I've had to do was retouch the hand a bit, and then adjust the colors. The reflection of the hand in the water was done by copying the original hand image, rotating and then some smudging to simulate ripple effect. It took me way too long to figure out that I can just smudge things out. But hey, I did get to know my program a bit better tonight, which is nice.

What are your thoughts? :)