Chapter 5: Halima and Saratu

Halima is the eldest of two children borne of Sekinat and Adamu.Their father was a clerk in the municipal council in town, and also doubled as a pioneer member of the local Civilian Joint Task Force. One of its earliest inductees since it was created by the state government few years prior. They had been set up to assist the combined armed Forces in checking the incursion of Boko Haram insurgents in the state and have proven themselves brave and fearless in the discharge of their duties to wide spread acclaim of both their immediate community and the soldiers they fought alongside and worked with in intelligence gathering and other critical duties. Adamu especially had proven himself a brave and courageous member of the para-military outfit. Several reports laud him as going beyond the call of duty while engaging the terrorists on the field of battle. In recognition and an appreciative gesture, he had enjoyed a steady promotion and gifts of all kind which included a special commendation and personal photograph with the then Governor of their state when he visited to inspect the forces.

Adamu in spite of all these achievements and accolades true to his nature always maintained his reticent, humble and down to earth personality traits. Never for once allowing it to get to his head. His efforts and achievements finally culminated in him being handed the command of their JTF unit in addition to a cash gift from the state Governor and over all theatre commander in charge of their region. Apart from being a devout Muslim, the only other love of his life was his dear wife Sekinat and two children whom he dotted on every opportunity he got. He had great plans for his children and had been in discussion with one of his paternal Aunties who lived in Abuja about sending Halima to her for a much better life and prospect in life. The Aunty had impressed upon him the lack of opportunities, insecurity and over all poverty in their town which left few options for children unlucky enough to be born there. Unlike most of his male peers Adamu had vowed to himself and his wife that his daughters would access the best of opportunities available and he would move mountains if need be to make that a reality. He never failed to admire the female Military Doctor in their camp, and would often daydream about his daughter also passing through the various institutions and finally qualifying as the first female Medical Doctor in their town.

One day Adamu summoned the female doctor and enquired of her what it would take for his daughter to achieve same feat. Lieutenant Dr Dorcas Chimgi as she introduced herself to Adamu had been taken aback by his questions, interests and reasons. To be honest being a Northerner herself and having worked for many years in a male dominated society with a potent infusion of Islamic influence, she was used to the inherent disadvantages faced by the girl child and the many opportunities denied them by a society tenaciously holding on to the disappearing vestiges of Religion and patriarchy enabled female gender apartheid.

So she could not hide her surprise and was taken aback when the brave but easy going and highly decorated Mallam Adamu approached her for tips and advice on how to go about giving his daughters the best education and the pathway to his first daughter becoming a qualified medical doctor. Lieutenant Dr Dorcas was overjoyed and didn't waste anytime before enunciating all the assorted pathways, free education opportunities, even scholarships and Government initiatives open for Mallam Adamu's daughters. He was quite surprised by these information, wondering aloud why nobody ever created an awareness or informed them of these opportunities. He promised to seek her out and get more detailed information, with a view to sending his older daughter to his Aunty in Abuja if need be as soon as the spate of terrorist incursions they were dealing with was sorted out.

Sekinat his wife and the children had lost the devoted father and husband Mallam Adamu in a fierce battle he had led his unit into a few weeks after his discussion with the female Lieutenant. He had been cut down in a hail of bullets, caught in a cross fire between the army and well armed Insurgents who had strayed into their town in one of their frequent raids. His sudden and untimely death had thrown the whole town into an extended course of mourning. But his wife and Halima the first child had been the most affected by his violent and untimely demise. Halima's junior sister was younger, hence did not grasp the full emotional impact of their father's unexpected passing.

Halima was barely 13 years old, but already looked and acted a decade older than her biological age. A condition borne out of the multiple layers of tragic happenstance, events which has severely blighted her momentary existence.