Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Zenko and Yanko

Kuro's POV:
I sat alone in the field watching the other kits play. We were allowed to play in this field since it was safe and for from humans. Kio wasn't around as she was scouting around the area to make sure nothing was approaching us. I don't usually play with the other kits. They were all brothers and sisters and were bonded to each other. I didn't have any siblings and according to the other adult kitsunes, that just wasn't normal. When I first came here I didn't understand why all the adults seemed wary of me, and while none of the other kitsunes treated me bad, but the other kits still didn't seem to want to be around me. However, now that I was older, I started realizing how different I really was. None of the other kitsunes had black fur, and I could not shift on my own, so until Kio could came back I was stuck in whatever form I was in. As of right now, I was in my hybrid form. I liked the hybrid from, there was advantages to having opposable thumbs. All the other kits my age seemed to favor the fox form, the only difference, the other kits were able to shift on their own, and I had suspicion that it was because of the marks each kitsune seemed to have on their foreheads, that marked them as children of the Mother. I did not have this mark, and with the lack of the mark I felt more than a little different.

"Well, well, well."

I looked up at the voice that spoke and stared in the eyes of the Goddess of the Forest Kannon. I didn't know too much about her, beside the fact that even though she was in a kid form, I knew that she was powerful. I never seen any other God or Goddess on our territory, besides her. I could never really understand why, except that her and Koi were friends. Kannon was sitting in a tree, looking down at me. Seeing that I spotted her, she hopped down and planted her self right next to me.

"Why are you sitting here all by your lonesome?" She asked.

"Felt like it." I mumbled, returning my gaze back to the other kits.

"Oh really?" She asked, following my gaze. "Wow, that game looks fun. Hunter and Prey right?"

I nodded.

"And your not playing, why?" Her green eyes bored into me.

"I don't fit in." I mumbled.

"Hmm. You are Inari-sama's correct?"She asked, she started poking and pulling at my ears and tails.

"Huh?" I tilted my head not really comprehending her question.

She leaned closer. "Because if you aren't then I can just make you mine." She said, placing two fingers on my forehead. "Then you can belong to me." She said cheerfully.

"N-no. I belong to the Mother!" I protested.

"Kannon." Koi called as she walked into view, back from her scouting. "Please don't scare him."

The little Goddess, huff with a shrug of her shoulders. "He's the one who said he didn't fit in. I was just giving him another option."

Kio sat down next to us. "One that would not work." She turned her golden furred face toward me. "Kuro, you must remember that being different doesn't mean you don't belong. You are special, and you will understand your place when the time comes. Now go play. I won't be long." She urged nudging me to my feet and pushing toward the other kits.

I didn't question her and slowly made my way to the group of kits. "Hi." I said, gaining their attention. "Can I play?"

"You think you can keep up on two legs, Freak." Taavi, one of the older boy kits asked. He was of a tan color and according to the elder kitsunes exhibited a more yanko personality, meaning he spirit was more wild and in tune with nature.