Chapter 2 - The Outsiders

⤪⤭

"When we fight, we fight like lions

But then we love and feel the truth

We lose our minds in a city of roses

We won't abide by any rules"

Fire on Fire

Sam Smith

⤪⤭

Chapter 2 - The Outsiders

⤪⤭

"Hey, um, isn't that your friends?" I said pointing over to the growing circle near the shore. In the middle stood two hot-headed blondes, one was their friend JJ minus his ladies now, looking ready to ruin the peace of the night.

"Oh shit." Kie jumped up, trying to deescalate the situation. "JJ!"

I follow behind, walking over to the boys on the verge of a fight. JJ was the first to the action, pushing the boy that was dressed like a rich kid, a kook. Thankfully, John B pulled him back and a kook looking girl pulled the preppy boy away from JJ as well. I look a deep breath but I saw the look in his eyes, that he wasn't done fighting as they yelled back and forth.

"Guys! Chill!" I encouraged, but no one cared.

It was in control until the boy in Khakis yelled, "Dirty pogues!"

That was the match in the gas tank as John B took his swing at Mr. Preppy. It didn't land well and got a revenge punch from his opponent. I chorus of 'ooh's' filled the air and Kie flinched at the sound of the contact.

"Guys stop!" Yelled the girl who I could only assume was Mr. Preppy's girlfriend, but it was no use over the growing chants for a fight.

He looked down at John B who was now on his knees in the water, "Don't make me drown you like your old man."

As someone with a father missing in action and a piece of shit mother, bringing up someone's parents was never something that sparked anything but problems.

John B lunged at him, trying to tackle him to the ground, and the fighting resumed.

"We're supposed to be incognito!" Pope shouted, running his finger through his curls.

"Topper, stop!" His girlfriend whined, once again, doing absolutely nothing to help besides giving me the real name of the Preppy King.

"Get him, John B." JJ cheered for his boy. Which gave John B the confidence to swing at Topper, hitting him solidly in the face.

The fight went in John B's favor, which even though I didn't even know the kind, I was rooting for him.

"Come on, Topper!" John B urged him on, growing in ego.

He paid for it in blood as Topper put the heat on, knocking John B around and then forcing him head down into the water. Shocks rang through the crowd as this just went from a boytoy fight to a serious, potentially deadly ordeal.

"Are you crazy?" I screamed out, looking for something to stop this."You'll kill him!"

My eye catches my surfboard as Topper pulls his head up again before pushing it right back down. I grab my board, getting ready to intervene by knocking Topper square in the head but JJ beats me to it. Silences the crowd and Topper by pulling a gun to his head.

"JJ put the gun down!" The girl they called Princess screamed as people dashed in all directions, making a break for it. Topper held his hands up in defeat and JJ held the gun there for a second before pointing it in the air and firing off two shots.

"Everybody, get the hell off our side of the island!" He screams in rage. He fires two warning shots, and that's when memories from my past flooded into my brain. I took the surfboard in my hands and knocked JJ upside the head with it, causing him to sink to his knees in the sand until he fell face first.

"Woah!" Pope yelled, turning to me. "What the hell?"

"JJ!" Kie yelled, running to his side.

"He's drunk with a gun. Call me crazy, but that is not a good mixture." I justify.

"Did you have to knock him out though?" Pope questions.

John B said nothing, falling into the waves with a tired sigh.

"Come on, I'll help get him onto the board." Pope looks at me with a side-eye, not sure of whether to trust me and I don't exactly blame him.

I try to prove my intentions are pure, "He could have killed himself or someone else. And I'm sure murder would ruin your summer."

"One wrong pull of the trigger would ruin his life." Kie agreed with me.

He takes the front end of the board, rolling his body up onto it as I handle his legs. We take him to the van as Kie picks up red plastic cups that were left on the beach before they go into the ocean.

I look around the dirty van, "Do you have a first aid kit?"

He rummages around underneath a seat looking for it before pulling out a small red bag, "Yeah. Here."

"Thanks," I say, as I go through the bag looking for anything useful and it was clear this kit was not only used on this occasion. John B meets us in the van last, regaining his bearings from being knocked around and almost drowned.

John B turned around to look at me as one eye starting to swell, "Am I tripping or did JJ just get decked by a girl and a surfboard?"

"You're not tripping, John B meet Sam." Kie introduced us.

"I'm never letting him live that down." John B says in a bit of a daze before

JJ stirs slightly in my lap and a Pope notices and speaks up. "JJ, you're in the van, parties over for the night."

He doesn't bother opening his eyes, reaching up to take the cold pack from my hand where I was holding it to the bump on his head from the surfboard. He groans, rolling, so he is more comfortable. He gets a feeling for his surroundings as he brushes his hand past my knee.

As the sly teenage boy he thinks he is, he smirks, knowing his head was in someone's lap. "Kie, if you wanted me between your legs you could have just asked."

Pope nearly chokes on air, laughing so hard, I look up at the terror on my face.

"JJ!" Kie screams from the driver's seat, alerting JJ that she was in fact, not the one caring for his injured head.

He bolts up, turning to look at me, "Who let a tourist into the van?"

"Wait, a tourist knocked him out?" John B said sitting up suddenly, I guess he hadn't gone to sleep.

"What?" JJ shouts. "Correction, why did you let the tourist girl that knocked me out into the van? And why shouldn't I kick her out right now."

"She is a pogue. A newbie." Pope fills him in.

JJ shakes his head, "I'm still lost. She knocked me out, why was I in her lap?"

I finally found my words under the weight of the blonde boy's glare. "I was trying to keep you from being an idiot."

"Listen, I'm an idiot, it's kinda my role in the group, but they've never knocked me out."

"She was the only one ballsy enough to do it. I didn't even think of it, though it makes sense now. The last thing we need is you getting trigger-happy." Pope told him.

"Ballsy, pogue, and pretty cute." JJ analyzes looking me up and down.

I rolled my eyes, wondering to myself if that's his personality to be that bold or if it was just liquid courage.

"I think you hit your head hard, maybe you should stop talking." I instruct and he raises his eyebrows at my challenging tone, "You can just call me, Sam."

⤪⤭