Chapter 17 - Moonlight

⤪⤭

"Yeah, I hope when we get to heaven
He looks at us all like we're kids
Shameless and painless and perfect and ageless
Forgives all the wrong that we did."
Remember You Young
Thomas Rhett

⤪⤭

Chapter 17 - Moonlight

⤪⤭

"Stealin drones makes you hungry," Kie complained.

JJ groans, "What I would do to a beer and shrimp and grits right now."

"I would kill for some In-N-out fries." I add, "What even is grits?"

John B's mouth drops open, "You're kidding." 

"You forget I've only been here for like two weeks. And Agatha was the center of attention for some of it, Johnny Boy."

"You're gonna try grits, and you're gonna like them," Pope assured me, subtly sounding threatening.

Kie led us in, talking to her dad while we looked around the tourist trap of a restaurant. It had lobster cages as decorations and lighthouse paintings on the wall. The food smelled delicious as we passed a table, my stomach fully realizing how little I had eaten today. Kie's dad looked over at us, we all offered a little wave, we probably looked more like children than normal. Smiling innocently to get what we want.

Kie walked over with a smile, "Sit down."

Little cheers of victory came from the pogues, I hollered a 'thank you' to Kie's father and he just smiled back, turning into the kitchen. Kie got us cups and utensils, being our waitress for the night.

We received our food, digging in right away to all the seafood we were given. We were quiet as we ate, collectively shoving food in our mouths, making it impossible to talk.

The boys finished up as Kie turned up the radio, gasping at a song she liked on the radio. Kie pointed at John B, ushering him over, and then she pointed at me too.

I made a face, too full and tired for dancing.

John B pulled me by the arm, "Oh come on, Sammy."

I no longer resisted, finding the beat to the music as I met Kie. She grabbed my hand, spinning me around with a laugh. Mid spin, I noticed Pope hopelessly gazing at Kie as she danced with John B.

I swayed over to him, pulling him out of his seat. Pulling him out onto the little clearing in the floor. I spoke so only he could hear me, "You won't win Kie's heart by staring at her from across the room."

"I don't know what you're talking about." He denies. "Besides, no pogue on pogue macking."

"You're a bad liar." I told him. There wasn't a bad bone in his body.

He rolls his eyes in response. "In a second I'm gonna dip you, and then you can tell me who's really staring."

As he said, he dipped me gracefully. When my head tilted back I saw JJ's eyes looking upon me. I couldn't hide the blush as I came back up to meet Pope.

He had a smirk on his face, "I'm the brains of this operation, remember."

"Like you said, no pogue on pogue macking." I restated.

"Those damn rules." He groaned.

We enjoyed the music, worrying only about the beat for a minute. I looked out the window, seeing the moonlight reflect off the water. That's when the idea struck.