Chapter 30 - Mamma Mia

⤪⤭

"Watch me, take a good thing and fuck it all up in one night."

I Think I'm Okay

Yungblud, Machine Gun Kelly, Travis Barker

⤪⤭

Chapter 30 - Mamma Mia

⤪⤭

If I had another shoe to throw, I would have thrown it. John B soon realized his mistake as all eyes drifted from him to me.

"What does he mean you thought you were gonna die?" Kie asked with genuine concern.

"I thought you told them the truth?" John B questioned me.

"It's a long story." I tried to calm Kie down, who was now muttering things under her breath.

JJ had enough as he burst in annoyance, "Don't give us that long story or complicated crap. Choose honesty for once."

"I know I wasn't honest with you all from the beginning. Looking back, I came here with nothing except a few pairs of clothes and my cat. When I met you guys, I saw the opportunity to have more, to mean something. I didn't want to risk that with my broken past or being related to the sheriff. But in the end, I almost lost you anyway. I'm really sorry."

"It's gonna take more than an apology for me." JJ rolled his eyes.

"You know what JJ, I'm so tired of your shit. I'm sorry I lied to you, but is it a crime to have some things private? I'm not an open book, okay. That's not who I am and if there's shit in my past that I don't want to talk about, you're not gonna bully me into it. Grow up, we all have secrets." I fired at him, shocking the rest of the pogues. Many glances peered around the fire and we all knew some secrets were deeper than others. "Yes, I almost died. Do I want to retrace the worst days of my life with you guys? No. So JJ, please do me a favor and fuck off."

JJ took a step towards me, but John B pushed him back. "You're taking her side too? What happened to bros before hoes?"

"JJ!" Kie warned against his misogynistic comment.

"It's a phase!" JJ defended.

"She's a bro too, dude," Pope tells JJ.

"Can you two end your little fight? Kiss and make better or something." John B requested of us. I still wore a scowl proudly. At this point, JJ has more to apologize for than I do.

"Which leads me into the bad news, since I decided I was comfortable sharing even though until I get the results it might not even be worth worrying about." I introduce to the group/

"You're not pregnant, right?" JJ stands up.

"God no but don't say anything until I'm finished. Please. I'm afraid if I stop now, I won't tell you what I came here to tell you."

I took a deep and shaky breath, "Shit."

"Whatever it is, it's not gonna change anything."

"But see, it could change everything," I tell them, looking up a JJ across the fire, fighting back tears.

"Sam?" Pope questioned with his nerves growing.

"I had to take a paternity test to see if I was related to any of you." I blurted.

The world stopped spinning. You could hear a pin drop.

"I did not expect that one..." John B breathed out.

"I talked to JJ's dad at the station, he thought I was my mom from when he knew her as kids. Before she left for Cali and had me. Mr. Cameron, too. He recognized me."

"No fucking way." John B was the first to speak. "He thought you were friends with Sarah because he swore he had seen you before."

"All I know is that my mom may have started the kooks vs. pogues turf war."

"Wait, let me get this right. Your mom's macking habits started a civil war on OBX? And you don't know what side you were born into.'' Pope connected all the dots.

I smiled and shook my head at the irony of it. "Yeah, that's the sum of it."

"Wait, are you saying that there's a possibility you and JJ are related." John B asked, clearly knowing the events that have occurred between us.

"Ew. No way." Kie cringed, "Well, that at least you guys haven't done anything." JJ and I peered at each other, offering no comment. Kie pressed her lips together. "Right?"

"Not exactly," I cringed, coming clean about everything all at once. "We only made out like once."

"Maybe twice." JJ rubbed his face.

"What?!" Kie shouted in shock, "And you didn't tell us?"

Pope pressed, "What about no pogue on pogue macking?"

I fired back, "And this is not what's important right now."

"Kie. Phone." JJ ordered and Kie pasted her phone to him before he put it in my hand. "Call her. Call your mom right now."

"She has kept it from me for sixteen years, why would she tell me now?" I quizzed him, having no faith in my mother.

"I don't care, just do it." JJ pushes the phone towards me.

I dialed the number, putting in a no caller ID before the sequence. It was almost midnight so with the time difference, she should be awake.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Mom," I said, confused on how to start this conversation.

She gasps on the other end, "Samantha? Where are you?"

"I'm fine. But I'm not coming back. I just need to know who my dad is. I deserve to know." I cut to the chase.

"Tell me where you are and I'll tell you." She offered after I scoffed she switched her tone up, "I may not have always been the best mother, but that does not change my love for my daughter."

"Don't you dare say that," I growl, starting to walk away from the fire so my friends don't have to hear me battle my mother.

"It's true-"

Anger boiled inside of me as I cut her off and snarled through my teeth, "You don't leave someone you love to die, you selfish bitch!"

"There was nothing I could have done. You know-"

"You were my mother! I would have protected you! I wouldn't have even thought about it. And you ran to safety without even a shout or cry for help."

"Not a day goes by where I do not regret that day." She told me.

I wanted to chuck the phone into the ocean, "And not a day goes by where I can sleep through the night without nightmares. Don't make me try to feel bad for you. You failed me as a mother, at least let me discover if my dad did any better than you."

"By this time I heard sniffles on the other end of the line, "I don't know. It'll be narrowed down to two names. Shoupe and Thornton."

I hung up, feeling slightly nauseated. I returned to my friends, hoping they didn't hear me screaming, but by the look on their faces, they heard me clear as day.

"Congrats, I'm not in any of our bloodlines." I deadpanned, trying to make it seem like a joke but it didn't go over well.

I dapped up John B and Pope, telling Kie she looked beautiful tonight before announcing that I was going home. I wanted to talk to JJ, but I needed time to be alone and get a solid thought out without drama.

⤪⤭