Chapter 11 - Strawberry Scented Jelly

⤪⤭

"No matter where we go

No matter what we do

If you're there, girl, I've got my eyes on you

Don't matter where we've been

No, there ain't no better view."

Eyes On You

Chase Rice

⤪⤭

Chapter 11 - Strawberry Scented Jelly

⤪⤭

I parked in John B's driveway, heading into the house. I worked as promised, opening the windows before I started baking so the house didn't dank for the next week. John B sighed a bunch as he cleaned up the house. I helped a little, taking old pizza boxes out to the burn pile with him. When he got to his father's study, the one that held all of his Royal Merchant research, I took a step back, letting him go through that alone.

"I wish I could have met him," I tell him, joining him by the fire.

He kept looking at the fire. "He was like a second father to all the pogues. Kie's parents are too kook to care about us, Pope's think we are a corrupting influence, and JJ's... less than easy. My dad would have taken you under his wing too."

The pogues losing a man like that broke me entirely. I leaned my head on John B's shoulder as we looked into the fire. Mournfully and peacefully we just watched the flame.

I felt John B stand up straighter; I took my head off his shoulder as he leaned forward, grabbing something from the fire and stepping on it multiple times to extinguish where it was lit on fire. Routledge family tree was labeled on the board he stomped on. He pulled off a paper with a name written on it.

"Olivia R. Routledge." I read aloud from over his shoulder.

"Get in the truck. It's time to wrangle the pogues." He announces, hurrying to grab something from the house. I followed his lead, pulling the latest baked good out of the oven and grabbing my keys.

In a minute, we were in the truck, going to get the boys. John B knew where to find them. They were at Pope's house where he was trying to fix a generator and JJ was distracting him.

"Get in losers," I order with a playful smile, they both drop what why are doing.

"Okay, I love the bus, but I can get used to this. Do I get to ride in the truck's bed?" JJ asks circling around my truck.

I squash his fun. "If we are trying to avoid police suspicion, I advise the back seat."

"You're no fun." He pouted.

"The bed only has reserved seating for drive-ins and the occasional mailbox baseball. It keeps it special."

"Don't give him any ideas." Pope dismisses my explanation before JJ could get it in his head.

JJ winked at me, mouthing, "Later."

I winked back in response, silently agreeing.

While Pope missed the whole interaction, while John B looked between the two of us. "You two are a dangerous pair."

"When you say dangerous, I think you really mean interesting, exciting..." I start nagging John B.

JJ continues our antics, making the smile grow on my face, "Life of the party, comedic relief..."

I pick up where he left off, "Highlight of your life..."

JJ and I took pride in our annoying ways. We continued until John B nearly jumped over the seat to attack JJ. We made eye contact in the rearview mirror still chuckling to ourselves. He had the ability to light the room up with that smile. It didn't come to his face often but when it did it was contagious. Soon enough Pope and John B were chuckling with us as we pulled up to The Wreck Restaurant, Kie's dad's restaurant.

Pope didn't hesitate to offer to go get her and of course, John B and JJ didn't notice that sign of his crush on her. I wonder if she was as oblivious to it as they were.

"She says she not comin'." He tells us, throwing his arms up in defeat.

"Why not?" JJ questioned quickly, then turning to his best friend. "What'd you do to her, John B?"

"Oh, that's cold. Already at this stage of avoiding your ass. Tough." I dramatically breathe out. "Better now than later."

"Any last-minute advice, Sammy?" John B asks, opening his passenger door.

"Plan A. No typical dude moves," I repeat from our last conversation about Kie.

"And Plan B?" He asks, leaning on the window of the door.

"Kidnapping. So make Plan A work, Johnny Boy." I advise.

He saluted to me, signaling his readiness for the mission before disappearing into the wreck.

"What was that about?" Pope questioned

"Yeah, when did you and John B get so close?" JJ asks, stealing the front passenger seat from John B in his absence.

He fiddled with his rings as I turned to him, I couldn't read his expression, deciding whether that sounded as protective as I thought it did.

Pope stopped me before I could answer, "Um, I meant what happened between John B and Kie?"

Now I was the one that looked away, hoping Pope wouldn't see the embarrassment on my face in my lack of focus.

"Yeah, no, I'm sure he'll explain when he gets back. They went through hell and back today. The cops caught up to them, you know?"

"Any charges?" Pope asked.

"No, but the compass is gone. Made the trade for freedom."

"Oh shit," JJ mumbled, he was going to say something else but John B walked out of the restaurant followed by a lovely brunette.

"Kie!" I yelled in victory. She smiled as she climbed into the back taking the window seat so that sandwiched Pope in the middle. John B was unhappy to see JJ took his seat upfront with more room. JJ just smiled innocently next to me.

"Why do you smell like strawberries, dude?" Pope asked confused, sniffing John B.

"It was the only shampoo Sam had." He sighed, slightly annoyed he was losing masculinity points in front of his bros.

Eyes wandered around the truck from the other pogues, we didn't notice at first. But without explanation that could be completely misread into something that never happened.

"No! Not like that!" We both shouted in defense.

John B's gaze found Kie's subtly, only making their kiss earlier more awkward. In the heat of the moment, I found myself looking for JJ's reaction first.

John B and I saw the panic looks and burst out laughing between each other.

"Did we miss something?" JJ questioned for the rest of the pogues as he pointed between the two of us in the front seat. "John B doesn't have that much game."

We justified ourselves by explaining everything that had happened earlier, leaving out the brief walk on the beach.

⤪⤭