Chapter 21 - Hate You

⤪⤭

"You know I'm always here to keep you company,

But I can't help but feel it's not enough for me

Maybe I don't wanna be just friends."

Just Friends

JORDY

⤪⤭

Chapter 21 - Hate You

⤪⤭

I heard gunshots, screaming and ducking behind the building, pulling Pope with me. My heart races fast, as my eyes dart around. Trying to see where the noise came from.

JJ comes around the corner, wearing earmuffs for loud noises and holding his stolen gun in his hand. "Why'd you scream?"

I take the gun out of his hand, clicking the safety, removing the magazine of bullets, and then cocking it back to get the final bullet out of the barrel. JJ looked at me in surprise, knowing my way around a gun. I hated them with every fiber of my being but I promised myself I would never be in the place of danger again. I researched guns, learning how to dismantle anyone I could come across.

I looked at the pieces in my hands, I threw the magazine behind me and the gun into the woods ahead of me.

"What the hell?!" JJ yelled.

"Shut up!" I ordered, taking a step closer to JJ. "I've had enough of your shit. The pogues have already almost been shot twice already. I don't need your hot head, pointing it at Topper again." He went to fight back but I stopped him, "I'm not finished. How stupid are you? Sinking his boat?! Have you officially lost your mind! Did you ever stop to think of the repercussions!? Even for a second?!"

"Why the hell did you tell her?!" JJ shouted at Pope. "What happened to not telling a soul."

"He didn't have to! Topper and Rafe did!" I informed JJ. "Do you know the kinda trouble you could get in for this?!" I questioned the blonde, who looked at me with an increasingly angered glare.

"He didn't do it." Pope said getting my attention from JJ, with his head down. "I did."

Everything stopped. My mouth hung open, "Please tell me you're joking."

"So quick to blame me, huh, little lady," JJ said, using his cockiness to cover his hurt. "You really must think so low of me. Or would it just be easier for you to assume it was me, you know, to give you another reason to hate me."

"I don't hate you, JJ. And you know that."

He just scoffed in response. Pope started pacing back and forth.

"Will you calm down and get a grip, man?" JJ said with leftover anger. "They don't have any evidence."

"They have cameras! They could have seen me." He bursts, continuing walking back and forth between JJ and me.

"There was no power, Pope, how could they have seen you?" JJ questions.

"It's figure eight, they got generators." Pope explains with distress, running his finger through his hair."They don't give scholarships to kids who vengefully sink boats."

I grab him by the shoulders, trying to get him to settle down, "Think of it this way, they must not have evidence or they would have already taken it to the cops. They can have as much suspicion as they want, but the cops won't believe them just off that."

JJ steps up next, "Enough with the regret, bro! They caved your face in. They hit us. We hit them. It's the law of the jungle. Now, if any Kooks come up to you and ask if you had anything to do with it, you walk up to 'em, look 'em straight in the eye and..."

"...Deny the living shit out of it." Pope finishes his sentences.

"That's right. Deny. Deny. Deny." JJ clarifies.

"That goes for you too, Little Lady." JJ hissed, originally I adored that nickname, believing it was sweet and charming with his hint of a southern accent but now he used it as his source of venom. "You speak this to no one. Don't go off and be a little snitch."

"I'm not one to kiss and tell." I sneer.

"Not much to tell." He fired back and his blue eyes met mine but he quickly turned his gaze to the ground. I let out a dark laugh, ready to say something equally nasty.

"Hey!" Pope yelled, pushing us apart. "What the hell is going on with you guys?"

"Nothing!" We shouted at the same time, turning back to each other with a glare.

"That was the most convincing lie I have ever heard." Pope deadpanned.

"We have bigger problems than JJ's toxic ego." Before he could fire back I continued. "DCS came for John B this morning"

"What?" Pope asked wide-eyed.

"I got him out but he's on the run. We have to act like nothing's wrong, DCS will likely stake out his house while they keep eyes on us. They probably think he'll take refuge with us."

"Well, that's just fan fucking tastic isn't it." JJ groans, putting his hands on his head to think of what the hell we are gonna do next.

⤪⤭