XXI: Saeran's Route (Luciel)

Having Vanderwood constantly around sucked.

It meant that Luciel always had to be on top of his work. He could never fully relax, ever. His apartment was really more shared property than his own, and the redhead was constantly reminded of his affiliation with the Agency.

But at times like this, having Vanderwood around was pretty much the best thing a guy could ask for.

Thank you, Ms Vanderwood, Luciel thought in his head for the hundredth time. When his boss had haphazardly shouted for Luciel to find Saeran and (Y/N), and that he alone would manage to deal with Rika, the redhead's body had moved to obey before any mental processing had happened.

It was only when he was well on his way down the stairs leading to the dungeon that he realized that Vanderwood wasn't merely giving him a command with those words—he was giving him an opportunity.

A chance.

To speak with Saeran.

And the last time I tried, that went far from well, Luciel thought sullenly as he continued down the steps leading into the dungeon. As he trod deeper and deeper down, it felt like he could feel the weight of the world on his shoulders. Or was that the weight of his fear, as he drew closer to the situation that would be the confrontation of everything that had happened in the past decade?

Right, Luciel thought. This mission was never about Rika, or even the Mint Eye. It's about Saeran.

Luciel and Vanderwood had tried their best to get to the Mint Eye as soon as (Y/N)'s desperate video call had come through, but V still caught them before they ran out. He'd insisted on coming—shockingly stubborn for a guy who was usually so docile—and had drilled it into both agents' minds that the top priority for this mission was seizing Rika. V had been clear: If you manage to get her to me, all the believers will be safe. It'll be some time before we can help them reintegrate into society, but they'll be safe. And that includes Saeran and (Y/N).

Luciel had agreed in the moment, but that never changed the fact that Saeran was his true priority.

The redhead hesitated when he saw the dim outline of the bottom of the stairs, a small flat openway right before a door. He knew what lay on the other side; he'd interrogated more than enough believers at gunpoint on his way here to confirm that the two people he was looking for lay in the depths of this dungeon.

He placed a hand on the door, trying to summon the strength to push it open. Or rather, trying to summon the courage. Luciel knew all too well that, depending on Saeran's reaction, his world would either be rebuilt completely or come crashing down.

And there was only one way to find out.

He pushed the door open.

***

"V will handle the rest," Vanderwood muttered, crossing his arms.

"We're seriously leaving him here, alone? With Rika? With all the believers?" Luciel scoffed at the idea, crossing his arms as he gazed upon the Mint Eye. Or what remained of the Mint Eye. The glorious building was crumbling from all the bombs he and Vanderwood had used to wreak havoc and gain entry, the infrastructure coming down in a tumble. "How's he even going to transport all of them out?"

"I restrained Rika, and the rest of them are subdued. V said he'd call someone named 'Jumin' and that the two of them would take care of it." Vanderwood crossed his arms. "But don't you have more important things to worry about, Luciel?"

The agent raised an eyebrow and stared at the redhead, who looked away uncomfortably.

"I'm guessing your little reunion didn't go as well as you'd hoped?"