Your Miss Morland | Northanger Abbey

Catherine x Henry

Hi, I just reread this book after literally not even a year of reading it the first time. I love this book, and I'm disappointed there's no one-shots or even imagines for it, so I just decided to write it myself.

Also, I provided a picture of how I personally pictured the characters. Top left is Henry, top right is Catherine, bottom left is Eleanor, and bottom right is General Tilney. I have seen both movie versions of the book, and I prefer the casting of the 2007 one, and I basically pictured the other characters the way that one casted them (excepting a few) when re-reading, but I'm sticking to my own casting from my first reading for at least these four. I did picture Captain Tilney as Matt Bomer with his Neal Caffrey look tho.

Summary: Northanger Abbey, but from the Tilneys' perspective in the scenes we didn't get to read.

QOTP: Where would you rank Northanger Abbey compared to Austen's other novels?

Word Count: 6677

Henry Tilney, upon quitting Bath for a few days after securing lodgings for his family, naturally desired to tell his sister Eleanor of what had already passed in his then short time there.

He was introduced to a girl named Catherine Morland, and then danced with her and spent the evening amongst her party. It was clear she'd never really been out in society such as that, and her countenance was so open that, even if her words weren't so clear — albeit exaggerated — as they were, Henry thought he could tell just what she was thinking. It seemed as though she thought well of him already, and he enjoyed speaking to her in any case. He thought she would make a nice friend for his sister Eleanor, who had no regular female companionship and would certainly be a good influence on the girl.

He mentioned her to Eleanor when he next saw her, before they returned to Bath.

"You think her agreeable?" Eleanor asked, after he'd related what had transpired between them.

"I think her very different from many of the other ladies in the room, though wanting instruction," Henry replied.

A small smirk found its way to Eleanor lips. "Ah, yes, and you quite love to instruct — though you tease when you do so."

"It is my way."

"I'm well aware. But your Miss Morland might not be."

"My Miss Morland?" Henry said. "I've met her only once, Eleanor."

"But you wish to meet her again when we go back?"

He shrugged and leaned back in his chair, saying, "I do," before changing the subject.

////

Shortly after arriving in Bath and partaking in some of its amusements, their father in another part of the house, leaving Henry and Eleanor thankfully alone, Eleanor turned to her brother. "How did you find the ball tonight?"

"Agreeable enough," Henry replied. "How did you find it?"

"Oh, I thought it very fine. Especially towards the end, when Mrs. Hughes introduced me to your Miss Morland."

Henry raised a brow slightly. "She is not my Miss Morland, but I will ask how you found her?"

"Quite well," Eleanor said. "I agree with you on her open countenance and want of instruction, though I find something about her charming, and her looks as well are very pretty. Wouldn't you agree?"

"She's... handsome, yes," Henry replied, but then he changed the subject.

Some days later, after the two of them uneventfully met Miss Morland's friends (the Allens) while Miss Morland herself wasn't present, Eleanor returned to their lodgings from the Pump-room. She met with Henry alone, and he of course asked her how her excursion was.