13 | talk; sleep

^ above is Hold Me While You Wait by Lewis Capaldi

hey guys, pls pls read the author's note at the end, i need your help.

× × ×

FOR THE FIRST time since my dreams had started, I had to admit that I was actually quite happy to be able to escape into dreamland.

A clear break from reality and being allowed to return to the days of happy sunshine and rainbows was much needed to sort my mind out. And dreamland did just that.

Other than that, I also wanted to talk to Gabriel, who hadn't turned up to school in reality. I had gone through the whole school day trying to keep my depression at bay after the talk with real Amelia, hoping to at least catch a glimpse of the golden boy. However, I couldn't find him, even at his usual table with his friends, who all seemed unfazed by the fact that their friend was missing and were just joking around.

I guessed that Gabriel would probably show up in dream school as I didn't think he would want to be stuck at the house where all his trauma had taken place because I sure wouldn't want to.

"Earth to Lee?" Tina's voice pulled me out of my train of thoughts.

I blinked, returning back to reality - ha - and blurted out, "Um yeah?"

Her eyebrow raised at me, her lips curling in disappointment. "Were you listening to anything I said?" she asked, watching for my reaction skeptically.

I licked my lips, ducking my head and not meeting her eyes. "No," I confessed, not seeing any point in lying to her.

She peered at me in concern. "Are you okay from yesterday's incident? Do you have a concussion or something?"

According to the nurse who had checked me out when I had fainted in dreamland the previous day, I had only fainted from sleep deprivation and exhaustion, no biggie. But by the way the nurse had drawled out every word with uncertainty when she had been telling me about what had happened, told me that she had no idea what the cause of my fainting was, so she just gave a random diagnosis. I know, it was very unprofessional of her, if I had to say.

"No, I don't think so. I just spaced out, that's all," I reassured my friend, cupping her hand in mine.

She eyed me uncertainly. "You sure? It was quite traumatising with what happened yesterday, I don't know if I want to go through that again," Tina joked with a slight deadpan tone, poking at my arm.

I managed a small smile, shaking my head at her lame joke. "I'm fine," I repeated.

"Kaylee, Tina, hey!" I heard heavy footsteps fast approaching me. Turning, I came to face Amelia, whose face was red and dripping with sweat.

"Yo," Tina exclaimed.

"Hi," I greeted politely, trying my hardest to keep my tone neutral and attemot not to let the incident with real Amelia affect my relationship with dream Amelia.

She skidded to a stop before me, her sneakers squeaking loudly. All three of us grimaced at the ear-piercing sound.

After several moments of silence, Amelia panted out, "Kaylee, you wanna walk to English together? My dudes all abandoned me."

"Okay," I agreed and after exchanging goodbyes with Tina, we trotted off to our first lesson.

"Sooo, why were you running like a mad woman? We aren't even late for class," I questioned, fiddling with the stacks of books in my arms.