Chapter 20

^y'all istg

uhm. hello. long time, no see? I would say I'm sorry, because I really fucking am, but I know you'll all just be like "no it's okay!!!" and there's no point in arguing it, we're honestly just using time (lmao okay this author's note was getting way too fuckin long so I moved it to my spam book. love yoooouuu)

HAHAHAAH I FUCKING CRIED LIKE THREE TIMES DJFNRLFKD

Trigger Warning: Sudden violent flashback of death/murder. Gore. Depression/depressive episode. Panic/anxiety attack.

The very next morning, we had our bags all packed and we were ready to go. Then Frank and I cleaned the whole house so Mama could come home to a tidy, nice-smelling home, which was his idea, of course. She had a long drive all by herself and he figured she'd appreciate coming home to something like that. He's the actual sweetest.

Before we left for Nevada, Frank and I went back to that Denny's for an early breakfast. Frank wanted us to take our time on the trip, for my sake, and I got to spend hours looking at my boyfriend, so I wasn't complaining.

Then I called my mom, to let her know we were on our way. There was quite a bit of rustling on the other end before I heard her voice. "Hello?"

"Hey, Mama." I said, looking around at the interior of the fucking ugly car we were currently surviving with.

"Geebear!" She exclaimed happily. "Hi, baby!"

I smiled at the sound of her smile. "Hi."

"How are you?"

"I'm good, Mama. I'm done."

Slight pause.

"Y- You're done?" I could hear that hopeful anxiety in her voice.

"Yeah. We're gonna be in Nevada in about seven or eight hours or so."

"Oh, baby-" Her voice cracked and I heard her whisper something to herself that sounded like "My baby's coming home." And I started to tear up. I was about to say something when she interrupted me. "Do you want to talk to Bandit? She just had her breakfast and I know she'd love to hear your voice."

A wave of uneasiness crashed over me and I felt my expression reflect it. "Uh, no. That's okay. I'll see her tonight."

"Okay. God, Gerard, I'm so-" She cut herself off to take a deep breath. "I love you, baby."

"I love you, too, Mama." I said quietly, picking at a loose thread on my jeans. "I'll see you tonight, okay?"

"Okay, baby. Oh, I can't wait..."

As I was hanging up, Frank got back into the car. He buckled his seatbelt and then looked at me expectantly. 

"It went okay. She's expecting us." I looked down, twiddling my phone around in my palm. 

"Good." He said, twisting around and hanging his arm over the back of the seat to look behind us as he backed out of the driveway. "We've got plenty of time. Don't stress it."

I trailed my eyes down from his reflective sunglasses and to his neck, where there was, to my surprise, no longer a bite mark from the night before.

"Where the fuck...?" I thought aloud.

He looked at me before turning to face forward as he started the drive. "What?"

"I know I bit you hard. Where's the fucking mark?" I asked.