Chapter 6

Y/N POV

"No no no" My mother screeched. I rolled my eyes as she walked over and pushed all the maids out of the way, trying to get a better look at me.

"My Lord what are you thinking?" Mother grabbed my arms and spun me around in a circle. "This is absolutely disgusting" Mother gagged a bit at the sight of me in the dress.

"Thanks mother. Nice to know you'll always tell me the truth" I rolled my eyes. Able came over, giving me a sympathetic look before helping me get out of the dress and into the next one.

"Oh no" I only had the dress on for 5 seconds until mother spoke up once again, shaking her head with that familiar look of disappointment.

"This is an engagement ball for the Princess of Aarland, not a ball for peasants" Mother touched the dress, immediately pulling away like it had some sort of disease on it. "Able do you hate my daughter?" Mother glanced at Able, looking her up and down. Her eyes widened. "No of course no-" "than why would you put her in such a hideous gown?" Mother snapped her fingers at the other maids, telling them to come over. "Take this dress off my daughter and burn it" She pursed her lips. The maids nodded before running over and getting me out of the gown.

"Q-Queen Eva" Able stuttered. "Your husband was the one to suggest this dress" Mother's eyes snapped up. She looked at Able with anger as she slowly walked over.

"My husband may be a good King, but when it comes to gowns he's a blind horse" Mother spat. Able nodded her head and looked down at the floor.

"Now leave. I must speak to my daughter in private" The maids immediately stopped their movements and rushed out of the room.

"What did you need to speak to me about?" I asked her once we were alone. Mother just looked at me before looking at the portrait that hung on the wall. It was a painting of father, mother and I when I was only just a baby. I watched as she just looked at the painting with a lop sided smile. Mother then faced me, bringing out her arms, telling me to come over. I sighed before making my way to her side. We stood in front of the painting in complete silence as mother contemplated.

"I have to be honest darling" Mother started. She faced me and grabbed both my hands into hers. "I'm quite happy that your marrying Julian" She admitted. I looked at her with a confused face.

"What do you mean?" I questioned. Mother was never one to pick favourites when it came to the future of Aarland. She wanted the most powerful and bravest on the throne. And if I'm completely honest here, Julian never seemed like the best fit for the throne.

"Well I never really understood why your father didn't just choose Julian for you. He's strong, powerful, brave and handsome. Julian ticks all the boxes in what your father wanted as a future King and husband to you" Mother signed.

"What about Gabriel and Thomas?" I asked. Mother chuckled a bit. "Mind my English Y/n-" she started.

"But Gabriel was a bit of a barstard" My eyes widened as I looked at my mother with complete shock. Never in a million years would I expect those exact words to come out of her mouth.

"He was always trying to make love to you, and he was overconfident in himself. And if anyone would have any sort of education, they would know that overconfident people can turn into selfish whores" Mother spat.

"And Thomas?" I was almost scared to ask what Mother thought of him. No doubt that Thomas was a quiet and cute boy. I liked him to be honest. He was charming and protective, unlike Julian and Gabriel.

"Well I think the events that happened today just confirmed what we all thought" Mother spoke. She gave me a small smile before walking away, towards the gown options for tonight. I felt my heart slowly sting at mother's harsh words. I had only known the three men for 2 days but I felt something towards Thomas. He was different in some way.

No I didn't love him or anything like that, but I felt some connection with him. It was like a tug of some sort. And if I had gotten to know Thomas a lot better, I would have chosen him to be my husband. But after today's events....

I can't think the same.

"I just never understood why your father even considered Thomas in the first place" Mother's voice filled the room, snapping me out of my thoughts. "He was fully aware of Thomas' past, yet he still liked him" I scrunched my eyes together.

"Excuse me?" I said. Mother stopped her movements and turned to face me. Her face was washed with confusion as she let go of the dress and slowly came over to me.

"Did you not know about Thomas?" I shook my head. "I swore Julian spoke of it last night" Mother muttered.

***

"Me? All you did was stand there like the little innocent Prince you are" Julian chuckled, walking to Thomas, making him slowly back up. "I was quite suprised to find out that you would of all people would be trying to woo Y/n" Julian and Thomas glanced at me.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Thomas tried to one up Julian, but Julian continued to tower over him. "It's just that-...well when King Nilson announced that it was time for his daughter to find a husband- he said he wanted a Prince who was strong and a good leader.... and your neither of those things. Your just Prince Thomas. The gentle, quiet boy, who couldn't protect anyone for his life.... not even his own-"

***

"Julian tried to speak of something, but he never finished" I spoke with nervousness. "What did Julian mean?" I questioned. Mother looked at me before sighing and opening her mouth to speak.

"Thomas...hasn't always been the most powerful Prince" She started. I walked closer as mother began to speak again.

"King Dominic became sick last year, and Thomas was placed as King for the time being. And with being King, means he was supposed to protect his people" Mother paused, licking her lips before continuing.

"During this time, a rival Kingdom started to attack them because they saw this as an advantage. During this, Thomas' mother was killed while under Thomas' protection....and he caved" Mother sighed.

"King Dominic was not happy, so he placed his other son Samuel in power-. Thomas didn't agree with his father's choices and tried to change his mind, but King Dominic was persistent. Sadly, Dominic died due his sickness and Samuel was made King. Thomas was absolutely raged about this. He was the first born. He was mean't to be King-.... So he-" She paused. I could tell mother was debating whether or not she should continue the story, but she did.

"He-he ended up killing Samuel"