Chapter Thirty Four

My fingers twitched and flexed as I continued to write Umbridge's lines with her sadistic quill. I tried to focus on the words and getting the sentences written as soon as I could so I could get out of here, but it was hard to focus when all you can hear is the sound of your friend's desperate groans and all you can smell is the metallic blood dropping from your aching hand. 

'Breathe, Aurora' I reminded my self, taking in a few deep breaths slowly to ease the pain. I would not appear weak in front of Umbridge. This was so not worth it for those lessons with the DA. Or maybe it was. I don't know, everything is just so confusing. 

I stretched out my hand, watching it shake as I retched at the words painfully etching themselves onto my hand. I will not break rules. I scrunched my hands tight in anger, feeling the quill move around in my right hand. 

A sudden and harsh tap on my right shoulder alerted me from my angry daze. I flinched and whipped my head round in reaction, a sneer held firm on my face. A sneer that was dropped when saw Umbridge standing beside me with a tight smirk. 

"Come with me, Miss Longworth" She chided, tapping me on the shoulder once again. I clambered to my feet in a haste, kicking the chair with ankle on my way up. I let out a small hiss and the chair made a loud clashing sound that rung out in an echo. Everyone's attention turned to me, all their eyes were staring. I shrunk beneath them. Some were scared, some were worried, some were sorry. I felt my chest close up, my breathing becoming fast and panicked. My brain was fuzzy and my hands were trembling even more than they were before. I could hear my own heart beating in my chest.

"Back to work, children" Umbridge ordered, causing everyone to turn back to the quills in front of them. Except from Harry and Hermione, who kept their gazes on Umbridge and me as she dragged me to the end of the hall. 

She stopped when we reached the exit, and she stood on her tip toes to whisper into my ear with a giggle, "I have a special punishment for you". 

Umbridge pushed the door open with both her hands before I even had the chance to react or run. I was surprisingly relived when it revealed a very bored Draco Malfoy picking at the dirt beneath his nails. His head snapped up when he heard the door open and immediately his eyes met mine. Then they moved frantically over my body and stopped to focus on my hand dripping in blood. They widened in panic for a split second before he returned to his usual casual demeanour for Umbridge.

I felt a harsh jab on my back, pushing me forward and out of the hall. Umbridge shut the door behind her with a loud slam and strode towards Draco with what seemed to be a genuine smile. 

"Miss Longworth, as requested" Umbridge said to Draco, reaching a hand out and smoothing some creases on his robes. She turned to me and gave a smug smile, "See, Aurora, Draco here followed the rules and was rewarded. You and your friends ought to take a leaf out of his book." 

I inwardly gagged to myself as Umbridge left the room, returning back into the Great Hall. There was an awkward silence for a little while, just me and Draco stealing glances at each other and avoiding each other's gaze. After a little while I let out a big sigh and decided to break the silence.  

"Come to give me a worse punishment for going behind your back, have you?" I snarled bitterly at Draco, puffing my chest out to my best ability in order to fake a confidence that I did not have. Draco clearly was unconvinced as he rolled his eyes and let out a small 'tsk' sound before sauntering up to me and grabbing my hand. I tried to flinch and pull back, but his grip just became tighter as he observed the cuts forming onto my hand.

He cast a quick aguamenti spell to clear off the blood, causing me to growl in pain and attempt to pull my hand away again. 

"Stop moving." He scolded, whipping out a tube of cream and running it gently over the raw cuts. His fingers traced lightly over my soft skin, so lightly that it tickled slightly, causing a shiver to run through my spine. Draco continued to caress my hand with the cream for a few more moments whilst I stood and watched his brows crease in concentration and his teeth nibble his lips every few seconds. He didn't seem to notice my staring as he kept his eyes trained on my hand. 

"What am I even doing out here, Draco?" I asked impatiently. 

"I asked Umbridge if I could punish you myself, as a reward. She seemed to believe it" He said nonchalantly. 

"Merlin, she is so sick in the fucking head" I spat in disbelief, shaking my head to my self. 

"Are you gonna say 'thank you' for getting you out of the punishment or what?" He taunted smugly. 

"Thanks, I guess" I murmured quietly as Draco continued to work on my hand. 

"It shouldn't scar" Draco breathed as he finished, finally looking up at me and meeting my eyes. I flushed and looked away quickly, hoping he hadn't caught me staring. I muttered a quick thanks and slowly pulled my hand away to marvel at Draco's work. He straightened up beside me and put his hands in his pockets, trying to look anywhere around the room but at me. 

"I-I'm sorry" I whispered and Draco whipped his head to turned to me with a look of bewilderment, "I mean for this whole DA thing. F-for not telling you". Draco moved his arm in a motion to stroke my hand, but thought against it and put his hand back down. 

"It's fine" He said firmly, his gaze strong and intense. "I shouldn't have expected you-."

"But do you see now why I was so upset when you fucked Pansy Parkison?" I interrupted with an exasperated tone, "When you accused me of cheating? Do you see now I never did anything of the sort? Yes, I was doing something behind your back but I would never cheat on you. I fucking love you, Draco."

It all happened too fast, I wasn't thinking straight. I didn't mean to say it, it just fell out. My breath hitched in shock straight after and Draco's head snapped upwards to meet mine, a look of disbelief and hope on his face. 

"I-I mean. I did love you. No I-I I liked you. I liked you too much to do that, Draco" I stammered slowly, trying to cover my tracks. Draco just stared for a few moments, as if he was trying to read my thoughts. He eventually lowered his head again and spoke. 

"I understand, Aurora" He sighed, "I know it isn't worth much, but I'm sorry." 

I nodded my head slowly and swallowed a dry lump in my throat, blinking back a few tears. I turned my back to him and began to walk down the hall but froze when he spoke again. 

"I love you too, Aurora." 

For a split second I felt the urge to run into his arms and feel them wrap tightly around me, run my fingers through his fluffy hair, feel his soft lips against my own and hold him until it was dawn. But instead I carried on walking.

The Next Day. 3.11 AM. 

Aurora: I do still love you

Draco Malfoy is typing 

Aurora: But I know I deserve more than this.

Aurora: Goodbye, my Draco 

Would you like to block this number?

Yes          No

Are you sure?

Yes          No

.