CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE: THE CHALLENGE OF THE EVIL WHO WEARS RED

"Oh! You must be Mr. Luis Manalo, am I right?"

Luis smiles at the new nurse and nods. "Is mom ready to see me?"

The nurse smiles sweetly and asks him to follow her. "She's a very sweet lady, Mr. Manalo, and my favorite patient yet. She is always calm and we all love hearing her sing."

It's Luis' first visit to his mom in two weeks and he loves hearing everything about her. He missed his chance to visit her last week because of his work that required him to go to Japan.

As much as possible, he didn't want to accept works that require him to leave the country-if not, town-and have to spend long days away for it but sometimes, he really doesn't have a choice. He's a writer slash journalist in one of the most sought-after showbiz magazines-Exposé, and being part of it takes a lot of his time and effort. Good thing that he really loves his job so it doesn't really seem he's working... except for when he really has to leave and he couldn't visit his mom because of it.

"How's your flight, by the way, sir? I heard you just came from the Japan when you called in for visitation appointment."

"Tiring, but knowing I'll see mom again washed by tiredness away."

"That's great to hear, sir! Miss Louisa is on the bench in front of the fountain. Have fun, sir, and please don't forget to push the alarm if anything happens." The nurse reminded him before leaving.

The garden is one of his mom's favorite place inside this institution for people with mental disabilities. It could be considered as a mental hospital but not every patient here could be generalized as "crazy" like what most people think about when they hear "mental hospital". Some are of age and have dementia, Alzheimer's, and other mental disorders. As for his mom, it's been almost ten years since she got in here for the mental trauma she went through when his bastard of a father left them. It's a long story for another time, and to be honest, he tries his best to forget about it and focus on his mom, and their present and future together.

"Mr. Writer! You're here! I thought you wouldn't come again."

Luis smiles widely for his mom's enthusiastic greeting to him. "Hello, mom. How can I not come? I missed you."

Louisa giggles and slaps his arm when he sat down beside her. "Goodness! You always call me mom and it flatters me! I kinda missed hearing your stories, too, and you know what, if my son Luis would just visit me, my day will be complete when he finally calls me "mom" again. Good for you because you always make time to visit me. Don't you have your own mom to visit? How's your work, by the way? Last time you told me you went to Japan? So, how did that actor's scandal go?"

Luis, always overwhelmed with his mom's excited burst of questions, chuckles. Like always, he'll patiently answer every question she has like right now. "I'm always here, mom, and I'll never get tired of visiting you. Work has been busy as always but I promise I'm always enjoying myself because I know this is for you and I'll always come to you after work. Japan is a beautiful country, much better experiencing it in person rather in photos and videos. The article will be published tonight, mom, should I give a copy?"

"Oh, please do!" His mom giggles again and sighs heavenly. "Today's a great day, Mr. Writer. I can feel it that my son will visit me today. If not, I know something big will happen for him. Like a big break, you know? Have you had yours yet, Mr. Writer? Your big break, I mean."

Staring at his mom like this makes him miss her more. She's so close yet so far. But he immediately wipes all the sad thoughts away and smiles again. "I haven't had my big break, mom, but if I did? I'll make sure we can live together again so you wouldn't need to stay here."