Ch. 16: What am I?

(Cover photo by MimiNicolette)

20 years later...

I sat in the corner of my prison cell, completely numb. I had listened to nothing but Hard Rock for the past 20 years and it was slowly starting to drive me insane.

I brushed my hand along the side of my head. I missed my hair. Instead of just simply dying my hair back to black, Katheryn decided to cut it all off, leaving it even shorter than before. Then, she had my ears re-pierced with those ugly, black hoop earrings and gave me some of my old clothes to wear. I guess the clothes were a bit of an upgrade from what I was forced to wear before, but that's about it. Finally, the cherry on top, she wrapped thick bandages around my forearms to hide my armbands.

Then, she locked me up in this prison cell and left me to rot. She never let me out. She would come visit me about once every other day to give me food and mock me, but that was about it. I became malnourished, but I didn't lose any of my strength. I was just always hungry.

This is where Katie's only daughter, Princess Barbara, or Barb for short, comes into the story. Barb was a very rebellious young lady. She would always do the exact opposite from what she was told. So, when Katie told her to never talk to me or bring me food, she of course visited me every single day and brought me snacks that she had stolen from the kitchen. She was rather sneaky, so she never ended up getting caught. But, one day, she just stopped coming to visit. I sort of missed her company.

I had started to despise my sister, since she had dragged me away from my home and had hurt my son. I never talked to her, and would only give her a few quick glances every now and then. However, as the years went on, I began to slowly notice some things about my sister, like how she no longer acted like herself, but more like our father. She would constantly refer to herself from a third-person point of view. In fact, she was even starting to look like father, too.

Her hair, which used to be dark blue with only a few dark purple streaks in it, was now complete purple. Her eyes never changed back to their radiant red color; instead they stayed pitch black, just like his. She even wore the same makeup he used to wear, too.

But what really sealed the deal was when I had accidentally called her father one day and she didn't even try to correct me. By then, I had figured out what might be happening to her.

In the past, I had read a lot about possession and troubled spirits. When a loved one dies, normally their spirit is meant to pass on to the next ethereal plain, but if a close relative refuses to let that loved one go, then things could get complicated very quickly. This could result in the loved one's spirit haunting their family for the rest of their lives, or the possession of a family member. If a possession were to take place, then that troll's spirit would be able to willingly take control of the host's body whenever they wanted for as long as they liked, and the host wouldn't even be aware of it. However, the longer that spirit stayed in control, the more the host's body would begin to share the same physical features as the troll who died.

In my eyes, "Katheryn" was no longer my sister. Dad's body may be gone, but his spirit was still alive. He was just walking around in Katheryn's body, controlling everything she did while her spirit slept peacefully in the back of her mind. I wished I could do something to bring her back to me and force father to leave her body forever, but the only way to do that was by destroying the possessor's most prized possession, and even I didn't know what that was. All I could do was hope that one day, father would grow tired of possessing Katie and finally decide to pass on. Unfortunately, I had a feeling that was never going to happen.

I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard the door swing open. My cell was inside a separate room, so there was a door to my cell and then a door that led out to the hallway. I quickly crawled over to the corner and stared into it while hugging my knees. I already knew who it was.