Chapter 8

You find your sleep to be restless, despite the better sleeping conditions this time.

Having no idea what time it is, you blink open your heavy eyelids to come face to face with a sleeping Spinel. She's barely three inches from your face, and when you scoot back to give yourself some much-needed breathing room, your back hits the wall immediately. Ah. Somehow she's cornered you in her sleep. You lay there for a moment, trying to figure out the best way to move to get up and go to the bathroom without waking her.

You can't really get out from the area above your head since you're in the corner, but if you move downwards, you have to move all of Spinel's limbs which are very much all up in your personal space, risking waking her. And you don't want to do that since she obviously needs to rest.

It's during these few moments you're wondering what to do when Spinel mumbles something unintelligible in her sleep (that almost.. sounds like your name), and her hand shoots out to grasp the middle of the front of the shirt you're wearing.

What the hell. Of course, she makes this difficult for you even when she's unconscious.

Very slowly you move your hand to grab her wrist, barely able to pry her fingers from the piece of clothing without making much of a commotion. As soon as you set her hand back down, she grabs your hand with hers instead, pulling your whole arm closer to her. Okay seriously? You look back up to her face and she's still passed out cold, tarps pressed into the side of her face, mouth slightly open.

With your other arm, you reach down to pry her hand out of yours, finding it increasingly difficult to not curse out loud at her for this. Her grip is a little tighter this time, of course, and you roll your eyes at the entirety of this situation at this point. You tug on her fingers once, twice, and in a split second, she grabs you with both of her arms, winding hers around your torso as she slams you into her chest, face first. You let out an "oomph" as she throws her leg over yours.

You can't breathe so you move your face over to the side, cheek almost painfully pressed into her gem. Hearing her breathe next to your ear, your whole body feels like it's on fire right now for some reason, but mainly, your bladder is yelling at you. You clear your throat in annoyance.

"Spinel." You say out loud.

Nothing.

"Spinel." You move yourself enough to jostle her.

"Mm." She grunts in response.

"I need to go to the bathroom." You can see her face twitch in tired irritation, but she still hasn't opened her eyes.

"Then go to the bathroom. Why are you telling me."

"I don't know, why don't you see for yourself." You say, humorlessly.

Her eyes shoot open and find yours immediately. It takes her approximately 5 whole seconds, and one slow blink of your face pressed against her gem for her to realize what she's doing.

She squawks like you just pinched her arm and quickly removes all of her limbs from your body, scrambling backward from you. She takes the entire tarp with her, leaving you feeling a bit exposed in the cold air.

"Sorry, I-I wasn't trying to.. I didn't mean to.." she trails off, and you can see her face light up like a tomato. It's almost strangely endearing if it wasn't so hilarious.

"Keep that up, and you'll end up strangling me in your sleep." You say amusedly, standing up and stretching your arms. Spinel's still in her pile, presumably still reeling from her earlier position.

"That's a bit dramatic, don't ya' think?"

"The more I tried to get away, the tighter you squeezed me against your gem. I really thought I was gonna break some bones there." You pat down your clothes, clouds of dust falling off of them and into the air around you. "Anyway, I'll be back. I'm gonna grab some food while I'm out there, and then I'm gonna explore the rest of the Spire above us to see if there's anything we could use."