Chapter 17

(THIS IS THE OFFICIAL "I MADE STEVEN SORT OF AN ASSHOLE" WARNING!! BE WARNED!)

You're frozen. It's as if all your muscles and your brain decided to stop functioning altogether. You had so, so much to say to her, and yet you can't seem to form any words.

Her face hasn't changed - it's only been hours since you've seen her, but she's already been through several weeks without you. Without anyone. Her eyes study your face, roaming over your features and hair as if she's looking at a ghost.

"Yeah," Is all you can manage to say, still out of breath as you try to think of anything, anything to say to her. "I-"

"You've been alive?" She asks - cutting you off, voice full of disbelief, and the tired relief that you had seen in her eyes suddenly changes to something else.

"Spinel, I-"

"You've been alive this entire time?" She asks again, voice cracking. She blinks, and you see small tears forming in her eyes. Your stomach drops. Oh god, she can't be thinking..

"Yes, and no. Let me explain," You try, calmy, as panic starts to flood your brain.

"You.." She trails off, and you watch her face as she goes through several series of emotions - coming to some kind of conclusion in her mind. She blinks again, leaving her eyes closed for a second to steady herself, and when she opens her eyes again to look at you, her expression changes to one you haven't seen on her in what feels like a very long time. "You left me here."

"Not intentionally!" You reply, horrified at her words. "Believe me, they took-"

"So you knew?" Her voice wavers, underlying anger in her tone.

"You're not letting me explain myself!" You feel like you're about to throw up, this isn't how you wanted anything to go.

"What's there to EXPLAIN when all the facts are here, huh, Y/N?" She's shaking a little, and you can see the pent up frustration in her form. "You disappeared on me, letting me think you were dead FOR WEEKS, I-" She chokes on her words, balling her fist.

"Spinel, I didn't DISAPPEAR," You say, taking a couple of steps towards her, and reach towards her shaking fist to grasp it. "I'm trying to tell you that-" She suddenly grabs your wrist to stop you from touching her, and you feel your eyes widen in shock.

"I CAME SO CLOSE TO-" The sound of rapid footsteps interrupts her, and she whips her head over to the staircase.

"DON'T YOU TOUCH HER." You hear Steven angrily shout from behind you, and you freeze in place. This cannot be happening.

"Steven, wait-"

"Y/N get away from her, now." You hear him materializing his shield in his hands.

"Universe." Spinel spits out with distaste and drops your wrist like dead weight. "Of course you'd show up."

"Couldn't kill her the first time, so you're trying to finish her off now!?" He exclaims, rushing up to your side with his shield up. You're so mortified that you're speechless.

Spinel lowers her eyes to the teen, facial expression bordering on dangerous as she lifts her shaking fist. "Ya' wanna say that aga-"

"STOP!!!" You scream because this is about to go very wrong, very quickly if you don't put a stop to it. "BOTH OF YOU."

"Y/N-"

"Steven, I need you to leave." You say bluntly, nerves blurring the edges of your vision. Steven angrily whips his face to yours.

"No, I don't trust her to-"

"To what, exactly, Universe? What do ya' think I'm gonna do?" She interrupts him, face absolutely twisted with quiet anger.