Chapter 11

You wake up in the middle of the night, and for some reason, you cannot fall back asleep no matter how much you toss and turn. You lay there for probably more than an hour, restless before you give up and decide it's probably best if you get up and walk around to try to wear your brain out manually.

You carefully peel Spinel's limbs off of you - your body starts to miss the warmth immediately. She stirs a bit, and you nearly wake her up, but you're able to successfully slip away without waking her. You don't want to leave the Spire, as you're not feeling up to being outside, so you figure you'll wander around on the floors above you.

Grabbing one of the loose drop cloths on the pile and wrapping it around your shoulders, you make your way up the set of stairs in front of you. You tend to zone out while walking as you let your mind wander, and before you know it you're at the top floor where you can go no further. You had no intention of walking all the way up here, honestly, but now that you're here you'd figure you'd chill here for a while. Until you feel sleepy enough, you guess.

Pulling the cloth around your shoulders a little tighter, you walk over to the edge of the decayed floor, looking out at the expanse of the jungle far beyond you. It's pretty foggy out tonight, you can barely see the tips of the trees through the thick mist. It's cold, but not as unbearable as some of the other nights have been lately, though. You sit down, pulling your feet up and under you to try to keep your legs warm, pulling the cloth over your lap as well. You almost feel snug.

You're really only sitting up there for about ten minutes or so when you hear Spinel walk up the stairs behind you, and you turn to look at her.

"I woke up and I was cold and alone." She says, disgruntled. "I figured you wouldn't go outside so I came up here."

"I couldn't sleep." You reply and face the opening in the wall again. You hear Spinel shuffling to walk towards you, and you scoot over to give her enough room.

"No kidding, your tossing and turning woke me up several times." She leans down to sit next to you, wrapping her arms around her sides.

"I'm sorry. I ended up getting up because I didn't want to also wake you, but I guess it didn't matter." You rub the back of your head sheepishly.

"Eh, It's okay. I woulda woke up regardless." She replies with a shrug, lifting a knee up to rest her chin upon it.

"Why, can't sleep without me by your side?" You tease her a little.

"Maybe." She says, sounding honest. "I think I might just be a light sleeper, though."

"Mm, not really." You pull the cloth tighter around your shoulders, a shiver creeping up your spine. "I've made quite a bit of noise before and you'll still be passed out next to me, with like a little bit of drool on your face."

"What! Do I have drool on me now?" She asks, feeling the side of her face self-consciously.

"No." You giggle a little, rolling your eyes at her. "It's only been once or twice. Chill."

"Whatever." She scoffs at you, shivering a little. "You talk in your sleep."

"I do not."

"You do." She side-eyes you, the moonlight illuminating her face. "It's mostly gibberish, but sometimes... like the other night, you said "potato"? Who's potato?"

"Food." You halfheartedly smack the side of your face dramatically. "Of course I'd subconsciously talk about food."

"What..." She snorts, enough of a grin on her face to see her teeth. "That's kind of..."

"Shut up. I miss fries. I miss mashed potatoes, I miss chips... I really miss potatoes. What I wouldn't give to eat that right now." You groan.

"Humans are weird." She looks at you amusedly.