5

Reader POV

True to his word, Nozel put you in one of his older uniforms. It was still big on you, but it was the only thing he had without it becoming suspicious.

"Your Highness," guards bowed to Nozel.

As they walked off, I whispered to him; "You aren't the king yet?"

"No, but they treat me like the King. It'll be true in three years anyway."

"Nozel!"

My blood ran cold. It was my mother. She had a keen eye and would notice if something was up.

Nozel and I turned around. "Yes, Your Highness?"

Mother sighed. "How many times do I have to tell you? Call me Mother!"

"Yes, Your Highness."

Mother sighed, giving up. "Seriously, Nozel. You're already a part of this family. We're basically already relatives."

"Your Highness, it is three years until your daughter and I are married," Nozel said with a blush.

Mother grinned. "That is true." She looked at me. "Who is this beside you?"

"Uh-"

I mustered the manliest voice I could, worthy of Ejiro Kirishima's praise. "Hello, Your Majesty. I'm one of the new trainees. Hence this tacky uniform,"

Behind my mother, Nozel frowned, and through the helmet, I grinned.

The helmet came over my entire head except for my face. My face had bandages on it to avoid anyone recognizing it.

"Well, you two have fun," She winked. "I know that's you, (y/n)."

I tried to say something but she just laughed.

"Not to worry, your father and I used to do the same. In fact..." She looked around and didn't see anyone except some guards and servants. "Come to my room. I still have the clothes that we used to wear when we snuck out. That uniform is tacky and hasn't been used in two years, Nozel."

I took off the helmet and bandages and gave them to Nozel. "How did you know it was me?"

Mother grinned. "I'm not a foolish woman, my dear. I'd recognize my child anywhere."

Then she frowned. "You cannot go out today. Next week I will arrange for you to go out discreetly."

"What am I doing today?" I sighed. "Today is my day off."

"You must stay in the palace today. Don't worry, you'll go out next week. For now, please. As your mother and Queen, I'm ordering you to stay within the premises."

...

"Be back before tonight," Mother smiled as Nozel and I made our way out of the castle.

It was now a week later.

No one talked about what had happened last week and why we wouldn't go out then.

She didn't tell Father. She said that it would be our little secret.

"Yes, Your Highness!" Nozel smiled as he wrapped an arm around me and we walked down the hill to the nearest village.

It was a bit of a walk.

The guards noticed Nozel immediately since he himself didn't really have to hide his head.

They stood at attention as Nozel guided you through the Royal Capital.

Instead of dressing in peasant clothing, you both were wearing merchant clothing.

Merchants were fairly wealthy but not noble wealthy.

"Look!" I ran around, glad to be wearing dark-colored army boots instead of fancy heels or shoes that I was expected to wear. "Look, Nozel!"

"That's the center of the city," he explained. "Each city has a fountain in the very center."

I was all smiles as I saw everything.

"(y/n), come here!" Nozel motioned for me to come to him. "I usually don't eat this kind of food, but today is special."

The thing he was going to purchase for you both to eat looked like some kind of cake.

"What is it?"

"This is a traditional dish that is common through all four regions of Cardia, with sakura powder," the food stand owner explained with a smile. "I see you two are a couple. I'll give you one. On the house."

I shook my head frantically. "No! You don't have to!"

"I insist! It would be rude not to," the man smiled. "It warms my heart to see a happy couple."

Just a week ago we were at each other's throats in a bad way.

Nozel thanked the man and when he wasn't looking, he put a huge tip on the stand before guiding us away.

We sat on the edge of the fountain, watching children play.

"Wow, this is so good!" I happily munched on the cake. It was light and airy.

(If you are wondering what it is, google 'Japanese fluffy cake' if you don't understand!)

"I know, right?" Nozel finished his piece and wrapped the rest and placed it in his bag.

Both of us were about to lock eyes again when someone screamed.

"GET YOUR HANDS OFF ME!

-.-.-
Slightly shorter chapter, but I decided to share a photo of my cat

-Slightly shorter chapter, but I decided to share a photo of my cat