Chapter 13- Will

I would just like to address the current problems going on in these horrible times. All lives matter. No matter your race, sexuality, gender, or personality you all deserve to be loved. The recent events with George Floyd were terrible and if you ever need to talk you can dm me or drop a comment.

Apparently Nico got information from Voldemort's dead grandfather about a possible horcrux. Slytherin's locket.

We have been doing research on it's possible whereabouts and how we could get there. Nico said he could shadow travel but I didn't want to wear him out too much, I know if he felt tired he would never admit it. His stubbornness is one of the reasons I fell so hard.

We walked hand in hand to our next lesson, Care of Magical Creatures, and Hagrid would be taking over. Neither of us knew why we needed a sub for the first part of the year but we could only hope that Hagrid was less boring.

Grubby-Plank was too close to the rule book, it got boring.

The two of us entered a clearing that already had children there, with a surprising lack of Umbridge. The man walked over lugging a dead animal over hsi sholder, causing both Nico and me to take a step back. He was half-giant.

Hagrid seemed ten feet tall with a beard to fit the description. He had a few nasty bruises on his face that looked in need of sirious medical treatment. The doctor in me itched to have a go at healing them.

The large man seemed to notice us immediately along with the famous trio. His full beard turned with his head and his eyes widened with shock when he realized who, or more what, we were.

A questing gaze was thrown before he cleared his throut to get the classes attention as Nico's hand cut off circulation to my own.

"We're workin' in here today!" The half-giant's gruff voice caused me and my boyfriend to flinch at the bad memories. "Bit more sheltered! Anyway, they prefer the dark. . . ."

"Hey," I nudged Nico and tried to diffuse the tension with a snicker. "This is right up your alley."

All I got in return was a roll of my eyes as Malfoy panicked. "What prefers the dark? What did he say prefers the dark — did you hear?"

"Ready?" said Hagrid beaming at the group, even the two of us. "Right, well, I've bin savin' a trip inter the forest fer yer fifth year. Thought we'd go an' see these creatures in their natural habitat.

"Now, what we're studyin' today is pretty rare, I reckon I'm probably the on'y person in Britain who's managed ter train 'em —"

"And you're sure they're trained, are you?" said the blond-haired idiot who sounded as if he would wet his pants. "Only it wouldn't be the first time you'd brought wild stuff to class, would it?"

The whole group seemed to be in agreement at those words and I couldn't help but wonder what his past lessons were like. They definitely seemed to be interesting.

"'Course they're trained," said Hagrid, a more familiar look of distaste setting on his face.

"So what happened to your face, then?" demanded Malfoy.

"You do realized if he trained him you have to actually train them," Nico scoffed. "You don't just give them an apple and they are your best friend."

Malfoy looked away after shooting a 'scary' glare and Hagrid gave an appreciative look. I gave a small smile back and we had a silent agreement to speak after class.

We entered the forest and I shivered at the absence of my fathers domain in the shading of the trees. We eventually came to a dark clearing that caused me to hold onto the grinning boy who was in his element. I knew as long as I was by his side I was safe.

"Gather roun', gather roun'," said Hagrid with come hither hand motions. "Now, they'll be attracted by the smell o' the meat but I'm goin' ter give 'em a call anyway, 'cause they'll like ter know it's me. . . ."

He gave a messed up bird call that my Ghost King seemed to recognize. His hand tightened around mine- not in fear -in excitement as I heard the crunching of leaves echo.

After a moment eyes seemed to peer from the thick branches of the forest. The animal was scarily beautiful. It was a shiny black with it's bones visible. The dark form had leathery wings that were folded on it's back and, with odd elegance, it started eating the dead animal.

"Look Neeks," I said with a smirk, "it looks exactly like you."

The small Italian boy pushed me and I laughed, confused by the unusual stares I was getting. The only one who didn't seem surprised was Harry, who looked almost relived.

"Oh, an' here comes another one!" said Hagrid as if they were his babies, proud of another one for not having stage fright. It joined the other on feeding on the cow as Hagrid beamed. "Now . . . put yer hands up, who can see 'em?"

Both Nico and my hands shot up, along with a boy who I believed was Neville and Harry. The group of us exchanged looks before lowering our hands.

"Yeah . . . yeah, I knew you'd be able ter, Harry," he said seriously. "An' you too, Neville, eh? Plus, the two transfers? No shock here. An' —"

"Excuse me," said Malfoy in a sneering voice, "but what exactly are we supposed to be seeing?"

It was only then people seemed to notice the meat disappearing. They had gasps of shock and amazed looks while I looked to Nico for answers. This type of creature was his specialty. The grim look was answer enough to prove death boy knew what was going on.

"What's doing it?" Parvati demanded in a terrified voice, retreating behind the nearest tree. "What's eating it?"

"Thestrals," said Hagrid proudly and the smart one seemed to know what that means. "Hogwarts has got a whole herd of 'em in here. Now, who knows — ?"

"But they're really, really unlucky!" interrupted Parvati, looking over he sholder as if someone was going to knock her out. "They're supposed to bring all sorts of horrible misfortune on people who see them. Professor Trelawney told me once —"

"No, no, no," said Hagrid, letting out a hearty laugh, "tha's jus' superstition, that is, they aren' unlucky, they're dead clever an' useful! 'Course, this lot don' get a lot o' work, it's mainly jus' pullin' the school carriages unless Dumbledore's takin' a long journey an' don' want ter Apparate — an' here's another couple, look —"

Two more horses came quietly out of the trees, one of them passing very close to Parvati, who shivered and pressed herself closer to the tree, saying, "I think I felt something, I think it's near me!"

"Don' worry, it won' hurt yeh," said Hagrid patiently. "Righ', now, who can tell me why some o' you can see them an' some can't?"

Hermione raised her hand. "Go on then," said Hagrid.

"The only people who can see thestrals," she said, "are people who have seen death."

All eyes seemed to fall on us, the two new students that were still a mystery. My expression sobered as I thought of all of the people I failed. The ones I couldn't save in time. If I had only been a second earlier so many deaths cou-

"Will," Nico said sternly, aware of all the eyes on us. "It wasn't your fault."

"I couldn have saved them, Neeks," I sighed. "I could have-"

"Will," Nico cut me off. "You did the best you could. They died fighting for their lives and now they are at peace."

After a couple of deep breaths we avoided a panic attack and the entire class stared in confusion.

"I would liek to see ye after class," Hagrid said softly and we both nodded in agreement. "Tha's exactly right," said Hagrid while adressing the class, "ten points ter Gryffindor. Now, thestrals —"

"Hem, hem."

I turned to see only pink, holding myself back from murder. Umbridge.