Character Introductions

Moo-Myung/Dog-Bird:

A young man of low birth who rises above his situation in life to become a legendary Hwarang warrior. He assumes the identity of his best friend Kim Seonu, Aro's biological brother, after he is killed by one of the Queen's Dowager's men.

Kim Aro:

A "half-breed" with a cheerful and straightforward personality, whose father is of jin-gol birth while her mother a servant. She works multiple part time jobs to support her family, in particular as a physician to the Hwarang. She easily makes friends. Later she fell in love with Seonu.

King Jinheung:

A young and distrustful king who goes into hiding due to assassination attempt and secretly becomes a Hwarang warrior, gaining strength and leadership ability in the process. He joins the Hwarang under the assumed identity of Kim Jidwi, as the Hwarang Chief Kim Wihwa's fake nephew along with Ha-Neul his adoptive sister as his fake niece.

Lord Kim Wihwa:

The first Chief of the Hwarang who acts as a fatherly figure towards the boys. Secret adviser of Jidwi.

Kim Suho:

A jin-gol aristocrat born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Hot-blooded and chivalrous, he aces in swordplay and is seen as a shameless playboy but is devoted in love and friendship. Kim Sooyeon's overprotective older brother.

Park Banryu:

Having been taught politics (by his two fathers – Park YoungShil, his adoptive father and Park Ho, his biological father) from an early age, he is a cold-blooded jin-gol, who is competitive and seeks for more power. He takes interest in Haneul. (This is ma baby <3)

Kim Yeoul:

A man who has a "gender neutral charm and loves dressing up more than most women", but is also extremely thoughtful and caring, hence, beautiful and mysterious, he possesses a sharp tongue. His mother is the sister of the previous king while his jin-gol father's identity still remains a mystery, which makes him half a seong-gol, but he takes no interest in the throne.

Suk Hansung:

The youngest Hwarang of the lot who has a warm personality and gets along well with everyone. He is a bright and innocent boy who carries a heavy burden as the last jin-gol of his clan, Wolseong. Dan-Se's younger half brother. He treats Dog-Bird as his brother.

Jang-Hyun:

Part of Soo-Hoo's clique

Kim Shin & Kim Ki-Bo:

Part of Ban-Ryu's clique

Suk Danse:

22 years old, part of Suho's clique. He is Hansung's older brother of the same father, but different mothers, who is powerless due to his "half-breed" status and is always looked down by their grandfather. Assigned as Sun-Woo's trainee.

Pa-Oh:

King Jinheung and Haneul's personal bodyguard who cares for them like a father, as well as Jidwi's assigned trainee.

KangSung:

Part of Ban-Ryu's clique. Originally one of the Hwarang rejects, scouted by Park Young-Shil to undermine the Hwarang. Assigned as Ban-Ryu's trainee.

Queen Mother Jiso:

Silla's acting Queen for 10 years in the name of her son Sammaekjong, whom she has hidden ever since the death of her father the previous king 11 years prior. She is the founder of the Hwarang & has many dark secrets within. Ha-Neul's adoptive mother.

Princess Sookmyung:

Sammaekjong's maternal half sister, as well as future consort. Momentarily residing with the Hwarang under the Queen's orders. Haneul's adoptive sister. She's jealous of Haneul's relationship with her brother.

Lord Kim Hwi-Kyung:

The Queen's Mother's elder brother and originally the crown prince of Silla. His name was removed from the royal family records due to polio. Dog-Bird's biological father.

Lord Kim Ahnji:

A jin-gol who was driven to poverty and was separated from his only son Seonu 12 years prior. Works as a physician aided by his daughter Aro dispending free-aid to the people.

Pi Joo-ki:

Owner of the store Dayiseo, as well as it's subsidiary tea-house Sutabaksu.

Sun-Woo/Mak-Moon:

Moo-Myung's best friend. Originally named "Sun-Woo",he was separated from his family for 12 years by the Queen's mother's men andended up at Makmangchon. Killed because he saw the King's face even though hehadn't reunited with his family yet.

Kim Soo-Yeon:

Younger sister of Suho, Aro's only friend.

Woo-Reuk:

Refugee from Daegaya. Renowned musician and inventor as well as master of the gayageum, he becomes the music and dance teacher of the Hwarang. Mak-Moon & Moo-Myung's care taker / foster father, who along with Kim Hwi-Kyung, holds the secret to the real identity of Moo-Myung.

Park YoungShil:

Ban-Ryu's adoptive father. A cruel and cunning leader of the opposition who yearns for more power, and would do anything to overthrow and kill the King.

Lord Ho:

Ban-Ryu's biological father. Member of the opposition due to indebtedness to Park YoungShil.

Kim Seup:

Suho and Sooyeon's father. Main supporter of the Queen.

Suk Hyun-Jae:

Hansung and Danse's grandfather. Member of the opposition.

Han Ha-Neul: Was born into a Royal Family, but an assassination took her family away, and she was found by the Queen's father,  the King at the time, 11 years ago. She was adopted into the family, much to the Queen and her daughter's disappointment, leaving her to rely on her adoptive brother, Jinheung, all her life. The two grew closer and rely on each other heavily for support. The Queen has kept them hidden together. The town of Silla doesn't know what their king looks like or about this other princess. They both go undercover in Hwarang as Kim Harin and Kim Jidwi, niece and nephew of Kim Wihwa.