-xi. a different feeling

❛ Cottage roads ❜

Cottage roads

Not too much time had gone by and now it was the first quidditch match of the season. Now, Claire did not want to go to this. Not because it was cold and windy, but because she would be going for James and not Riley. Hannah insisted she went, however, claiming It wouldn't be right if she didn't. So now, she and James made their way down to the pitch together, hand in hand.

As much as Claire hated admitting it, she enjoyed feeling the warmth of his palm connected to her own. It was something she didn't know she needed until she was so familiar with it.

"I really don't understand why you hate quidditch so much," James muttered.

"I don't hate it, I just don't get it."

"What's not to get?"

"You're on a broom, throwing around a ball, and even if you have more points than the opposing team, a tiny golden snitch determines if you win or not. That's why I don't get it," Claire explained. James just chuckled and shook his head. They had arrived at the pitch now and Sirius jogged up to them.

"Have you seen Sumner?" asked Sirius, looking down at Claire.

"Not since this morning, why?" she answered.

"No one can find her, the game starts in five minutes."

Suddenly, from behind them, they heard a, "Sorry, I'm late!" Riley caught up to them with ruffled hair and sweat lining her forehead. She seemed awfully flustered about something but ignored it as Sirius bombarded her with questions.

"I'm gonna go find Hannah," Claire said to James. He nodded and as she turned to walk away, he called after her. "Yes?"

"What about my good luck kiss?"

"Hmm, we'll see how the match goes," Claire responded, turning away and sensing his eyes on her back. She could practically feel his smirk. She made her way up the stands and found Hannah easily through the sea of scarlet and gold.

"What are you blushing about," was the first thing Hannah asked her friend.

"It's cold, you know how my skin gets," excused Claire. Hannah rolled her eyes at her and started up another random conversation until the game began.

"And the game kicks off with the quaffle in possession of Liam Jordan, seventh year Gryffindor!" the booming voice of Sirius Black called out. "He passes to the captain, and most handsome Gryffindor, after me of course, James Potter!"

"Black!" McGonagall scolded.

"Sorry, Professor. Oh, it looks like he's going straight to the goal, and he scores!"

The Gryffindor side erupted into cheers and Claire clapped, remaining calm despite the fact that she was very proud. She kept her eyes trained on him and watched as he turned and locked eyes with her.

He winked and flew away, chasing after the Slytherin that held the quaffle. The butterflies that swarmed Claire's stomach was a different feeling. They were much stronger than before and she didn't know what to do. She couldn't fall harder than she already had for him. She couldn't end up hurt.

The game progressed and the seeker for Gryffindor, Marcus Smith, ended up catching the snitch. There was an uproar from the side of the pitch Claire and Hannah sat at. Claire covered her ears and grimaced at the loud noise. Hannah grabbed her hand and led her away from the crowd and down to the exit of the stands. They searched for Riley and quickly found her when she ran up to them grinning.

They engulfed her in a hug as she laughed in excitement. "You did amazing!" Hannah told.

"Honestly, you were the best one out there," Claire beamed. Riley rolled her eyes with a smile and laughed once more. That was something both Hannah and Claire loved about their friend, she laughed when she was overwhelmed with joy.

"There's a party in the common room, fifth years and above. We're going," Riley insisted. Hannah glanced at Claire with a look of uncertainty. Claire shrugged hopelessly.

"It can't be that bad," Claire suggested after Riley had gone off to the locker room to get dressed.

"You know how I feel about parties," Hannah sighed. Claire looked at her sympathetically. She was about to comfort her more but a pair of hands had wrapped around her waist. She let out a yelp and spun around to meet James' hazel eyes.

"We won," he stated with a trace of mischief in his eyes.

"I heard."

"You know what that means," he hinted with a smirk. Claire's smile faltered when she remembered their last encounter.

Oh God! Her conscience panicked.

Before Claire could make any sort of witty remark, James had leaned in and sealed the distance between the two. His lips met hers and the contact lasted about seven whole seconds. People around them giggled, wolf-whistled, and cheered. They pulled away and James grinned down at her. She let out a breath and looked away with a smile.

"You said we'd see after the match. We won, it was only fair," James told.

"Well, I didn't mean in front of the entire school," Claire muttered.

"Right, next time it'll just be the two of us then," James smirked. Claire looked back at him and as Hannah and Riley pulled her away from the scene, she called out.

"That'd be preferred."

James watched her go once more and felt an odd sensation in his stomach. Something he'd never felt before. Sirius, Remus, and Peter had caught up to him and patted him on the back.

"Bloody hell, Prongs. You've fallen hard haven't you?" Peter said as he examined his expression.

"Huh?"

"You're blushing. I've never seen you blush," Remus commented, amused.

"I mean, I'd be blushing too if I was dating someone like Claire, she's one of a kind, isn't she?" Sirius added.

"Yeah, she is," James agreed.