Muggle High School?!

Shortly after this realization, the balding man came over. "You must be the new exchange students, from England." He said with that same tone he had launched the game with. Everyone else was too shocked or absorbed in their thoughts to notice, so Luna did the talking. "Yes, and we would like to know if we're enrolled formally in... high school?"

The man nodded. "I am principal Johnson. It's a pleasure to have you at Montezuma High, home of the Wizards." Draco almost burst out laughing. Wizards? There was nothing magical about these people. Principal Johnson grinned at them. "We have your sleeping arrangements all worked out; you're all going to stay with Mrs. Snitch." Harry raised an eyebrow. Really?

"She lives all alone, with her cats... we thought it would be nice to have about seven teenagers stay with her. Now, she only has five rooms, not counting her own, so some of you will have to share. What about you, young lady, and your brother over there?" Principal Johnson said. Before Draco could react, Luna said, "Oh, he's not my brother, sir, but the redheads are siblings."
Ron nodded. "Bloody hell. I'm not shairng a room with my little sister!" He muttered.
But Principal Johnson didn't hear him, and was already striding towards Mrs. Snitch's house. The team turned to go, but not before they saw the cheerleaders.

"Did you see those girls? They were pretty hot for Muggles!" Draco said.
"Oh, shut it, Malfoy. Everyone knows you can't stand Muggles, Muggleborns, or Half-bloods." Hermione snapped.
 "Jealous, Granger?"
 "Why would I be jealous of you? Or them?
" Draco smirked at her. "I think you know, Granger."
 "You're impossible, Malfoy." She shook her head, and moved up closer to Ron. 

"I think you're only driving her away." Luna said quietly.
Draco turned his head. "Where did you come from, Lovegood?"
"Well, on my parents wedding night-"
"I don't want to hear that! You know that I meant how long have you been standing there!"
 Luna shrugged. "I've been standing here since I told Principal Jonson you weren't my brother, and so I couldn't possibly share a room with you."

 Draco stiffened. "Who'd want to share a room with you, Lovegood?"
 "Now see, that's what I'm talking about. It may work on the Slytherin girls, but Hermione is a Gryffindor. You need to try a different approach. But don't worry. You have plenty of time. I can tell that we aren't going to be able to go home anytime soon."
"What do you know, Loony?" Draco sneered.
"I know that you're never going to get anywhere with her if you keep that attitude, it's obvious that you've had a crush on her for months, probably since the Yule Ball, and I know that she prefers the smart, sensitive type. I also know that with a little bit more kindness and compassion, you'll be her dream guy, because you're second best in our year, after her. And I have asked you before to call me Luna."

Mrs. Snitch's house was the largest in Montezuma, towering over the pale clay houses next to it. "Not surprising." Ginny muttered, noticing a gnome peeking out of the somehow unkempt lawn.
Mrs. Snitch herself seemed designed for the house, tall, blonde, and generally cutting an imposing figure.  

"Excuse me, ma'am, but we each need rooms, and Ron would rather not share with Ginny, and Draco and I aren't closely related." Luna said.
Mrs. Snitch smiled. "Of course. You may each have your own rooms, since the Muggles didn't know about my enlargement charms, but on one condition. You must clean them yourselves, without use of wands, and only Muggle cleaning supplies. Muggles aren't idiots, you know. They are quite ingenious, and not enough witches or wizards appreciate this. Besides, a lesson in humility will not hurt any of you" There were collective gasps from everyone but Luna at the prospect of not using magic. "You haven't changed a bit, Mother." She said smiling.

----------

"Um, Luna, I thought your mother died." Hermione said as they were scrubbing the floor of her bedroom.
"That's what I thought too, until I saw her. Though it was obvious she was a witch from the moment Mr. Johnson said Mrs. Snitch." Luna scrubbed at the floor absentmindedly. "Did you wish to talk about it...?" 
"But... she just...? You're not even surprised?" 

Luna blinked at her. "Well... a bit... yes... especially as I can see Thestrals... but I suppose that was watching my Great-Aunt Ophelia die in the hospital. She's not dead, so I see no issue. If she was able to contact us, she would have."

 Hermione nodded. "Alright, well said. Let's see how the boys are doing, with only Ginny to help them." Luna nodded, and they both got up and went into the next room, which was designated as Draco's. "Weaslette, this is too hard! Where are the house-elves?!"
"Don't talk to my sister that way, Malfoy!"

"Can you two please calm down? We haven't even finished scrubbing the floor, and we're only on the first room!" Hermione and Luna heard Harry say exasperatedly.
"You know, Ginny, sudsyweed makes an excellent cleaner... and Malfoy is what I fear right after Snape..."
"It's okay, Neville. You've done more than your and Malfoy's fair share. Go find that 'sudsyweed'. Maybe it will help this go faster..."
"Weaslette! You're letting him go?"
"Malfoy, Neville is not a house elf!" 

Luna chose that oppurtunity to knock. "Can we come in? Are you all decent?"
 Hermione slapped her arm. "Luna! What do you think they've been doing in there?"

"Bullying Neville. What else? Poor Neville. I was simply asking whether anyone had gotten the bucket of water dumped on them. It would explain everything. Except the nargles."
Hermione shook her head, but Luna didn't notice. She walked right in. "Mother says you must all hurry up now. We must get some rest. Tomorrow we start school."
"School? You mean that wretched Muggle high school we saw last night?! Are you daft?! They're- they're Muggles!" Draco sputtered. Luna regarded him closely. "Technically, they're the Wizards."

*Author's Note*

I love that. The Wizards. You know, like the Wizard of Oz? And I orignally intended to make Mrs. Lovegood a little old lady like Mrs. Figg... but then I figured, why not?