Chapter Twelve

James

"What the hell's your problem, JD?" The bartender sets down two more draft beers, and I push away the empty glass.

"Nothing."

Neil's not buying it. "Bullshit. If I had to guess I'd say trouble in paradise."

Bingo. Walking out on Delilah tonight, after telling her I should move...the worst thing in the world. Her devastation nearly did me in. In a single stroke I tore down what we built back up after John died. What Delilah doesn't understand is that I don't want to move. Unless it's into her bedroom. And that's another reason to leave. She's too dependent on me, and the longer I stay the harder it is to keep my hands off her. Living together is a disaster waiting to hit.

"I told Delilah I'm gonna find my own place. She didn't take it well."

"Ahh. Hence the out-of-the-blue call for a night of drinking." Neil doesn't take the opportunity to rib me, which is surprising. I guess there's a streak of compassion in there after all.

"Pretty much."

"What are you gonna do?"

"Uh, move." What's he getting at?

"Yeah. What about women? Does this mean JD Coury is open for business again? Cuz there's a couple ladies over there who've been eyeing you all night." He points at the women with the glass of beer and grins at one—or both—of them.

"Isn't that moving a little too fast?" I don't want another woman. I want Delilah. I glance across the bar. Oh, yeah. Good looking. Sexy even. The brunette is definitely giving me the business. It wouldn't be hard to end up between her thighs tonight. My dick stirs to life. Until Delilah pops into my mind. Now we're back to soft-serve.

"Nah. I say go get laid. Get it outta your system. The first time's always the toughest. When Wendy and I divorced...let's just say getting back in the saddle wasn't easy."

I shift my attention back to Neil. He's probably right. It has been too long since I've slept with a woman.

"Hey." I turn to see the brunette next to me holding what's left of her glass of white wine. "Jana. How're you doing?" I take a moment to scan Jana from head to toe, then hold out my hand to shake hers. I'm surprised by her boldness. She didn't look the type, and it's gotta be hard to approach two big-ass guys like us cold.

"JD. I'm good. You?" Wow, I think I've lost my touch. Jana glances down, uncertain if taking the first step was a good idea. I'm not so sure it is. "Can I buy you another?" I point at the glass with one sip left in it. She meets my eyes again, and a small, hesitant smile appears.

"Sure. Mind if I sit?"

"Of course." Jana slides onto the bar stool next to me. "What brings you out on a Thursday night?"

"Eh, my friend." She gestures at the blonde who's grinning and giving her a thumbs-up. "Fridays are too...crazy. She's been after me to go out. Finally I caved. So, here I am. You?"

I chuckle. "Just needed a beer with my buddy here." Neil's smirking into said beer. Asshole. If I it weren't for the fact that I called him, I'd swear this was a set-up. Still not convinced otherwise. Neil has a way... Damn. I'm staring at Jana, but not even seeing her. I'm so fucked. The silence hangs between us like wet laundry. Jesus. I've completely lost my touch. Jana clears her throat, and thanks the bartender for the refill.

"Perhaps I should..." Her words trail off and she nods in the direction of her friend. Before she can hop off the stool, I bring my hand down on hers, holding it to the bar top.