Chapter Twenty-One

Delilah

"How many mimosas are you gonna drink today?" Meghan waves a fork at me.

"Seriously? I've had two. I'd hardly say I'm headed for a hangover." Setting down the flute, I spear a bite of my omelette. I'll admit, I'm kinda jonesin' for a third mimosa, but I'd better stick with water. Sunday brunch with Meghan gives us a chance to catch up. Lately, that means it's a chance for Meghan to grill me over my situation with James. Not that there's been much of a situation up until Friday night. I've been on the fence about whether to dish on that. Part of me is of the mind that I should figure out what to do on my own. The other part says tell Meghan and see what she thinks.

When I glance up at her, she's staring at me. Then she flags down the waitress. "Can we get two more mimosas, please?" Clearly she's decided the first two weren't effective in loosening my tongue. The waitress nods and goes to fetch them.

"What's that all about? Not two minutes ago you were questioning my mimosa capacity."

She shrugs. "You've got something on your mind. A little more lubrication and you'll spill it." She takes a sip of the fresh drink that is swiftly delivered. Perhaps the waitress decided we needed it quickly.

"What makes you think that?"

"Duh. You're poking at that omelette like it's gonna hurt you. My guess? This has to do with a certain handsome lug of a man who has the hots for you."

I about choke on a bite of croissant. "What?"

"You still mooning over the fact that James moved out?"

Slowly I sip at the fresh mimosa as I weigh how to answer Meghan. Or whether to answer at all. She's staring at me. What's the use? The girl will keep digging until she loosens my lips. The thing is, I'm not sure what to tell her. Or if I want her advice. The whole situation is too complicated. Maybe brunch wasn't a good idea. I set my glass down.

"Meghan, honestly, I should probably figure this out on my own. No, I'm not happy James moved out. That's not all of it, though. I need to talk it out with James, if you don't mind. Once I sort it out, I'll fill you in."

"Sure. I'm here for ya when you're ready, okay?" She smiles as she reaches across the table and squeezes my hand in sisterly solidarity. Before I can say anything else, the chair next to me scrapes along the tile floor and a imposing shadow blocks the sunlight coming in through the window.

"James?"

"Hey, babe. I thought I'd find you here. Hi, Meghan. How're you doing?"

"I'm good, you?" Meghan's glance pings between the two of us. James looks like he hasn't slept in the past two days. His usual cheerful, easy-going demeanor is subdued and his expression is troubled. Yeah, talking to him is the way to go. I wish I was certain how I felt about all the bombshells Friday night.

One thing's for certain. I'm happy to see him. Very happy. So happy that a weird warmth rolls from my head to my toes. Damn, he's sexy. How can I be mad at him for the fling with Roxanne? The guy has been torturing himself one way or another over me for a long time, apparently.

"You found me."

"I did."

"Guess I'm too predictable, huh?"

He nods. "I was hoping we could talk. In private. At your place? If you're ready, to discuss...things...that is."

"Sure." I grab my purse to settle my half of the bill, when his hand lands on mine.

"I took care of the bill. My treat. Meghan, I hope you don't mind if I steal D-doll from you."

She holds up her hands. "She's all yours."