( twelve ) I have to tell you something.

╔═════ ∘◦ ☽ ミ ◦∘ ══════╗

𝗠𝗜𝗗𝗡𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧

𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝔀𝓮𝓵𝓿𝓮:"𝙸 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚕 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝔀𝓮𝓵𝓿𝓮:
"𝙸 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚕 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐."

╚═════ ∘◦ ミ ☾ ◦∘ ══════╝

IT TOOK A couple of minutes for Mike to calm Eleven down. Once the girl's tears had ceased, they all gathered around to hear what El had seen. Mackenzie sat on top of the couch, listening to El's recount of what happened. Fireworks for the Fourth of July were going off in the background, but they had bigger problems to worry about than a celebration. Mackenzie's eyes were narrowed in thought at everything El was saying. She was so focused that she didn't feel Will's burning gaze on the side of her face. For some reason, he couldn't stop staring at her.

"He said he was building something," El said. "That it was all for me."

"Building something . . ." Max trailed off. "Is he talking about the flayed?"

"He must be," Nancy answered.

Lucas paced back and forth. "So, he's building an army, just like we thought."

"Yeah, but he's not building this army to spread," Mike pointed out.

"He's building it to stop Eleven," Will concluded.

"Last year, El closed the Gate on him. I have a feeling that really pissed him off."

"Like, royally," Lucas added.

"And the Mind Flayer now knows that she's the only thing that can stop him. But if she's out of the way—"

"Then it's over," Mackenzie finished quietly. "For all of us."

"He also said he was gonna kill all of you," El revealed.

Mackenzie blinked in shock. Oh?

"Yeah, well, that's nice," Max said sarcastically.

Mackenzie let out a breath. "Yep. That's just perfect."

Nancy's eyes suddenly widened. She pushed herself off of the wall, walking up to the window slowly. Mackenzie's eyebrows scrunched in confusion as she watched her do so.

"Do you guys hear that?" Nancy asked quietly.

Everyone went silent. All Mackenzie heard was fireworks going off, but there was something else. Loud booms were heard, but it sounded like they were getting closer and closer to the cabin each time. A faint screeching noise also sounded throughout the trees.