( one ) I'm not his girlfriend!

╔═════   ∘◦ ☽ ミ ◦∘ ══════╗

𝗠𝗜𝗗𝗡𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧

𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓸𝓷𝓮:"𝙸'𝚖 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚐𝚒𝚛𝚕𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍!"

𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓸𝓷𝓮:
"𝙸'𝚖 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚐𝚒𝚛𝚕𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍!"

╚═════ ∘◦ ミ ☾ ◦∘ ══════╝

hawkins, indiana. circa 1985.

SUMMER. IT WAS the one time of the year where kids would get out from school and just have fun. Mackenzie Tate was always one to strive for good grades and earn high marks, but goddamn, she needed a break. Not to mention, she was spending her entire summer with her best friends (minus Dustin Henderson, of course, he was still at camp). After everything they had gone through in the past couple of years, Mackenzie believed they earned some time off from saving the world.

One thing that never failed to cease during the summer was Mike Wheeler being late for everything. He was probably sucking face with Eleven, and while she thought their relationship was cute, Mike was spending every living moment with her. She wanted to invite El to her and Max Mayfield's girl nights, but noooo, Mike wouldn't allow that.

Mackenzie waited outside the Starcourt Mall with Max, Lucas Sinclair, and her all-time best friend, Will Byers. Her and Will had been spending most of their summer with each other. Maybe she was imagining it, but she was almost positive that Will reciprocated the same feelings she had towards him. Mackenzie had liked Will for entire life but she wouldn't dare tell him. However, summer was a time to be wild and free. Her feelings for him had grown exponentially since summer started and she wanted nothing more to kiss his stupid face.

Mike suddenly pulled up on his bike, his hair a little messy and his lips swollen and red. Mackenzie smirked at him as he got off. Once he turned around to face them, he noticed her facial expression.

"Don't give me that look," he said.

"What look?" she asked innocently.

Lucas shook his head. "Whatever. You're late."

"Sorry," Mike offered.

"Again," Lucas added.

"We're gonna miss the opening," Will complained.

Mike put his bike in the rack. "Yeah, if you guys keep whining about it. Let's go!"

Lucas then began to mock Mike as the group made their way into the mall through the crowds of people.

"Just please stop talking, dude," Mike pleaded.

"Let me guess," Lucas added. "You were busy."

He began to make kissing noises with his lips. Mackenzie rolled her eyes at his antics and shared an exasperated look with Max.