CHAPTER 2

July 8th

     Isn't it funny how you plan out your life, but at the end of it all, everything you thought would happen, didn't.  It's even funnier how I planned to spend my entire holiday exploring Europe with my brother before it was time to go off to college. Look at me now...

     Yesterday after the graduation ceremony, my two other best friends: Whitney and Amelia dropped by the house. Whitney was who you would call feisty. She was a dark skinned beauty with a patience of a Mexican woman. Amelia then again was a quiet fair skinned angel with a huge heart and an annoying habit of being too kind. Something people seem to take advantage of.

     They stormed into the room with a stone-cold mission of making me feel better. They obviously knew about the whole incident and honestly it wouldn't surprise if Sidney from down the block was already in knowledge of it; people around my neighbourhood talked, a lot.  As it is, my family and I resided in a small town with a considerable number of people in it. Ergo, news travelled fast. 

     My two friends hopped on the bed, tackling me into a group hug. Something as simple as a hug from people I considered family seemed to go a long way for me nowadays; I appreciated it more than I ever did before. They finally released me after leaving me breathless, jumping into how boring the whole graduation ceremony was and emphasising on how I didn't miss out on anything. If only they knew. It wasn't about the ceremony or who said what that was my main concern. It was the fact that after planning so long and preparing myself for months for my valedictory speech, I ended up in my house and speechless.

     "And then Michael tripped while climbing up the stage," Whitney snorted at the memory, the one I would never get to experience. Amelia laughed along with her, my lips tugged upwards by at least a centimetre. Their happiness was contagious.

     They continued chatting and laughing at their inside jokes, failing to notice that I wasn't even listening anymore. As much as I enjoyed seeing them happy, having fun and just being plain ol' teens, it made me a little sick to my stomach. You could call me selfish for all I care, because I don't.

     It wasn't fair that life chose me to be its next victim. Neither was it is fair that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't efface off the bad, invasive memories. I felt palled of just sitting there and feeling sorry for myself. I decided to ask the one question that has been bothering me since they busted in through the door. My voice was still in hiding, so I grabbed the little white erasable board and marker from my bed side table, the one Andrew got for me earlier during the day. I thought it was really considerate of him.

     As I wrote, I glanced up and was met with two pairs of curious eyes. Whitney wanted to know what I was up to with a tilt of her chin. Amelia just sat back with a doe eyes spread wide. After writing, I flipped the board to face them and waited.

     Does everyone know what happened? In school, I mean?

    When they finally grasped what was written on the board, they looked away, throwing side glances at each other, before going completely still.

     "Um..." Amelia hesitated, shifting her focus to Whitney. Her hesitation was all the answer that I needed to know.

     Whitney had a remorseful look in her eyes when she finally spoke up. "Well...yeah, kind of."

     What do you mean kind of? I wrote back, staring at the people in front of me.

     "Well... people only know that Bryan-"

     I winced, causing her to stop talking when she noticed the disgusted expression on my face at the mention of his name. His name had a blunt-knife-to-the-heart effect ever since that night.

     "Sorry. As I saying, people only know that he attacked you, nothing more." She continued, spotting a sad apologetic look on her face. I was pretty sure my parents were the ones responsible for feeding the public the PG side of the story.

     It's okay. I wrote back.

     A moment of silence washed over us.

     Pity and sadness hung around the room like the foul scent of old urine. The conversation left us in complete silence, forcing me to stare at nothing and everything at the same time. I was already quite cognisant of what the silence did to my aching mind. I grabbed my phone and signalled for them to grab theirs as well. I went straight to our group chat room on my phone messenger and began writing.

     Me: I'll be leaving soon to some rehab centre, I don't know when yet. My parents think it will be good for me, but Andrew is not so solid on the idea and to be honest, I'm kind of scared. What do you think I should do?

     Ama my Angel: Well honey, you just have to follow your heart and do what you got to do. But remember that we all love you and we're right here no matter what you decide.

     White Coco: Exactly. We're right here and I agree with your parents. I think you should give it a try. Concerning Andrew, you know him already. He'll come around, just give him time.

     Me: Thanks so much guys.

     Without wasting time, I dropped my phone on the bed and pulled my two closest friends into a big hug.

     After the whole emotional tension died down, they continued telling me about the ceremony; who forgot their lines, who fell, how Andrew humiliated himself in front of everyone and some many other stories I can't recall.

     Where my silence fell short, the girls filled it up with meaningless talks. We had talked for hours, only stopping when my mother entered the room with a phone lodged between her left ear and shoulder and some oven gloves on her hands.