Chapter 29

Day 59

     It was a beautiful day, the sky was at its most vibrant blue, the sun shone brightly and the air was warm. That was the good part.

     Now for the slightly less good news. Camila was being discharged today and not just her, but Madison as well.

     Was I happy for them? Of course.

      Was I sad? Most definitely.

     Upon my arrival, I expected to be ignored, treated as sickly or probably lose myself in the process. Instead, I was met with good people—friends, sisters even—who understood and stood by me. With them, getting better didn't seem so hard. Despite the therapy sessions and overly monitored living, my experience was relatable to that of going off to some out-of-state boarding school.

     Yoga—check.

     Breakfast—check.

     We both were all dressed up and ready for the day ahead. I was dressed causally, while she wore the very same assemble she did on the first day I saw her. Dressed in all black, she wore her favourite leather jacket and skinny jeans with a tank top underneath and her spiky combat boots.

     Few seconds after walking into the bathroom, she called my name. I walked in to see her admiring her gorgeous face in the mirror. "Do you think I should let my hair down or put it up?" She did both styles, turning her head from side to side.

     I moved further into the bathroom, standing behind her and looking at the both of us through the mirror. We look mighty fine, I thought.

     With my arms wrapped around her torso, I pressed my cheek to hers and looked her straight in the eyes. "Up, down, middle, side, you look great anyway."

     She gave off a half laugh. "Stop flattering me." She swirled in my arms, pulling me into a tight hug. "I'm really gonna miss your smart mouth, girly." She pulled apart, narrowing her eyes at me. "Now, I'm serious." She swirled back to the mirror. "Which style is better?"

     The same answer as before rested on my lips, but I guess she saw right through me. "Don't even think about it, " she chided, pointing at my reflection.

      We busted out laughing. "I'm really gonna miss you too," I whispered in her ears as she pulled me in for another hug.

...

     "Today we're going to be messing around with colours," the art instructor began once everyone was stationed at their respective space. "You are very permitted to go crazy with your brushes, but not too crazy." She smiled at her group, pointing her index across our faces so we would get the message.

     Lunch period. That's where my head had been since Camila and I parted ways. It wasn't in the way you thought. From past experiences, I knew lunch period was the time set out for the departure of any patients who had completed their treatment. Meaning that by lunchtime, Camila and Madison would be gone.

     My mind travelled back to few hours ago. Camila and I had just exited the lodge and on our way to our next appointment. She tugged me to a stop. She had this radiating smile on her face. She pulled me into a hug and whispered how she was greatly going to miss me. I don't know how long we stood there, wrapped in our bubble.

     She broke the connection. She had a wide smile on her smile, whispering something along the line of "I left a little something for you on your bed," before skipping off, leaving me standing there with questions like what? And when?