Chapter 18

Bryan

     She always believed that whenever a person was born, so was a star. She believed in love and second chances. Most importantly, she believed in me and what did I do with that?

     As much as I loved the feeling of her skin flushed against mine, I wished I had done things a little differently; more subtly. Maybe, just maybe we could have been together right now celebrating such an important occasion.

~•~

     It was closing time and a seething crowd of students and teachers were heading my way. I was leaning against my new Range Rover jeep; a present from my parents for my eighteenth. It was scorching hot and she still wasn't here.

     Being the impatient person that I was, I looked down at my wrist to check the time...again. The silver plates of the Rolex watch reflected nicely under the bright sun. She got it for me, even though I told her not to. The words she told me two days when I tried to refuse it, replayed in my head, bringing a little smile to my face. "You either accept it or I trash it because I totally don't know where I kept the receipt, " she said, her face all serious. Although the frequent blinking of her eyes was a massive giveaway.

"Bri!" She was here. I looked up and as always I was captivated by her mere simplicity. Her hair was perfect, her face was perfect, her smile was perfect, her outfit was perfect. She was perfect and I wanted nothing more than to tell her.

     Her smile became brighter and her eyes had a slight twinkle when she got to me. Maybe the heat was making me delusional. Who knows?

"Sorry I'm late, I forgot to turn in my Chemistry homework." She scrunched up her face when she finally noticed the masterpiece behind me. "Ehm... Who's car are you leaning on? " She asked, still looking behind me.

     I smirked. "Mine." Her eyes widened. "Wait, is this the surprise you were talking about yesterday on the phone? " She asked, looking through the tainted windows. It was pretty obvious that no one could see the interior of the car from the outside, but who was I to rain on her parade? I nodded, then remembered she couldn't see me. "Yeah. "

     She shrieked, not too loud but enough to turn heads. She pulled me into a quick hug. "Oh my gosh! I'm so happy for you," she said loudly into my ears. The heat that spread through my body upon contact instantly made me relax, it was comforting, but her jasmine scent sealed the deal. Like a moth to light or a bear to honey, I was drawn to it; it was my addiction.

     She let out a gust of air when she pulled back, her shoulders dropping and her hands being thrown around while rolling her pretty eyes. "Finally, an actual chauffeur. Andrew will certainly be happy."

"Hey! "

"Boo hoo, get over it, " she joked, sending a wink my way. My mouth went instantly dry, thanks to the motion.

     She was even more excited when we got into the car. She kept poking buttons and changing the radio frequency as I drove. "So... Now that my birthday is officially a thing of the past, we can focus on yours. " I suggested, glancing at her through my view side before returning my eyes back to the road.

"Pfff. My birthday is literally like three months from now, wise guy. " She smiled, holding her hair in place. She always preferred having the windows down, except during harsh conditions. Something about the air conditioning and global warming, I think.