Chapter 3

TW: discusses child abuse and caning. It also discusses homelessness and financial problems and starving. If these are triggering to you please be careful when reading.

Dahlia's POV

"It's happening oh my gosh it's happening!" Paisley shouted for probably the hundredth time this morning. We were getting ready and were just about to head out and turn in my form. I was wearing the fanciest dress I owned. It was an olive green dress with elbow length sleeves, it stopped at the knee, and had the tiniest slit. I put on black flats and put on the smallest bit of eyeshadow and lipgloss. I normally wore just mascara but I decided today there needed to be a little pop. The brown eyeshadow looked amazing and so did the light pink lipgloss. I felt gorgeous. My hair was in simple waves and next thing a know a curly haired redhead aka Paisley is dragging me out the door. 

"Hurry up Lia we're gonna be late!"

"Slowdown chickadee we have until next Wednesday to get the forms in!"

"I wish I could join the selection!"

"You're only 13! Plus you'll find a really great guy when your older or you'll be single and that's ok too!"

"I don't wanna be single I wanna be a princess! Which is why you have to win!" 

"Mom help me out here."

"Paisley you don't need a man to be happy. Dahlia make your sister a princess." my mom said jokingly

"But Paisley's already my princess!"

"Awww I love you Lia." Paisley said stopping and turning around to hug me.

"I love ya too chickadee. Now let's get to the post office and turn this form in!"

"Yay!"

Paisley now more excited than before was skipping to the post office. When we got there girls lined the streets most of them caked in makeup, but I saw a few girls who looked pretty similar to me. Plain or Simple. All of us were still beautiful in our own way. Those girls enhanced their beauty with makeup and we found a way to accept our natural beauty. My mom started chatting with the other parents here still friendly since there wasn't any real competition yet. Paisley bounced around making jokes with all the other girls and I made sure to compliment them. About fifteen minutes later we walked in and handed in my form. I was told to smile and my picture was taken. As we were leaving the post office I heard August's voice call out to us. 

"Elara, Dahlia, Paisley! How are you?"

"We're good! Dahlia just handed in her form for the selection!" My mom replied.

"Really? That's great and Dahlia I have to stay you're a star! If you don't get picked they're crazy!" I pulled August in for a hug and understood the hidden meaning. This would be a great chance to pitch some of our ideas to help settle people into life without the castes and giving people equal job opportunities. 

"Thanks August it'll definitely be a once in a lifetime chance." another hidden meaning as I pulled away from the hug. 

"August what about me? Dahlia let me use some of her makeup!"

"You look great but you always look great Lee!" it was true Paisley was a natural beauty probably because her joy was beaming out of her. She was radiant and with the red gloss and mascara she had put on she looked ethereal. I may encourage her to be happy with her natural beauty but if she wants to wear makeup I'm certainly not going to stop her. 

"Well we really should get going. I'm going with Paisley to drop off some of her paintings that she's sold and then I have a piano performance."

"I'll being staying here though. I'm on the lunch shift today."