Chapter 6

Dahlia's POV

Papers, papers, papers, phone calls, vitamins, interviews, strangers, photographs. Oh and more papers. It was actually kind of exciting. I enjoyed getting to talk to all these people. The Friday after I was selected I put on the uniform I was given. Which was black jeans and a white shirt. I stuck my province flower into my hair which was in waves. I always found it ironic that Kent's flower was a Dahlia. Grabbing the small bag that I had packed up with my favorite books and the few pieces of jewelry I owned along with an extra outfit I went to go find my mom and Paisley. 

"Oh you look beautiful!" Mom exclaimed when I walked into the main room.

"Thanks mom." 

I looked at Paisley who was grinning at me. "You're gonna be the princess." She states it as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

I laugh at that and then hear a knock on the door.

"Are we expecting anyone?" My mom nods and opens the door. Three figures walk into the room.

"Aunt Juno!" I exclaim pulling her into a hug. I had always been super close to my aunt. We shared the same height, hair color, and eye color. My mom also says that I get my temper and kindness from her, she also says Aunt Juno and I looked like sisters. Juno was quite a few years younger than my mom and turned 25 last month. 

"It's so good to see you Lia! I'm so glad I got to see you before you got swept away by the Prince!" She pulled away and studied me. "Give me a twirl Lia."

I spun around in a slow circle letting her look at my outfit. When I stopped I glanced over her shoulder and saw August and Georgia there as well. 

"We're here for your send off." Georgia explained. August just nodded, honestly he looked as though he was about to cry. I looked back over to Aunt Juno when she cleared her throat.

"It's acceptable. The jeans flatter your figure, but I think you should tuck the shirt in." Aunt Juno was a print model and had worked her way up when the casts were abolished. She used to be a 5 with a love for photography which I also got from her, but she's always preferred being in front of the camera. I did as she said and she gave a nod of approval.

"We should get going." Mom said and so we made our way to the town square. 

I was ushered on a small stage immediately standing next to the mayor. She smiled at me as she always did. Mayor Lilith Hawthorne (A/N this is a little shout to Lilith. If she sees this...Love ya!) was a tall woman with dark hair in a pixie cut. Her wife and daughter were both standing behind her and her daughter Olivia waved. I of course waved back. I used to babysit Olivia and gave her piano lessons for a few years. 

"Good morning everyone! Today we're here for Miss Dahlia Merchant's send off! Dahlia do you have anything you'd like to say?" I nodded and she handed me the microphone.

"Hi everyone! I'd just like to say thank you for being here, I'll be sure to try and make you proud! Hopefully this will be a great opportunity for our community as a whole. You'll all be with my in my heart!"

"That was lovely Dahlia. Good luck! We're all rooting for you."

I stepped off the small stage and immediately made a beeline for August. I threw myself into his arms and crushed him in a hug. He was lifting me off the ground and whispered in my ear. "I'm so so proud of you Dahlia. I know how great of an opportunity this is for the rebels but I want you to put your happiness first. If you're miserable there or the Prince tries anything I'll come get you myself."

"You'd have to get past the guards first." I whispered back laughing lightly.

"I have experience breaking into the castle. Plus I'm friends with Maxon and America. I'll just ask if I can visit. In all seriousness though I'm going to miss you, but as long as you're happy we'll all be fine here."

"Thanks August I'm going to miss you too. I'm going to make you proud." I promised.

"Oh sweetheart I'm already so proud. I've always been proud of you and there's nothing you could do to change that." And now I was crying. Sniffling I still wouldn't let go even if I needed to wipe away the tears. 

"That's means more to me than you know. I also wanna tell you that you're like a dad to me, well what imagine a good one is like. I know I've said that before but seriously I love you to death."

I knew August was crying now as well. We had a tendency to get all emotional like this a lot. "I love you too. You're family although I'm sure you already know that." He pulled away even though I didn't want him to and wiped away my tears. "I'm sure I've taken up enough of your time. Remember chin up and be proud of yourself. 

I took in a deep breathe. I knew had to say it now. It was such a simple word one I had wanted to say to him since I was 14. I just never had the courage too. "Thanks Dad." I whisper. I'm crushed in another hug although this one was much shorter. 

"Anytime sweetheart." he whispers back and we're both crying again. I make my way through the rest of my family. Mom tells me to write daily, Aunt Juno tells me to update her on Palace fashion and send lots of photos, Georgia tells me to sweep the prince off his feet which makes me laugh. I get to Paisley who's still smiling but has tears running down her face.

"I'm gonna miss you Lia, but it's okay cause soon you're gonna fall in love and be a princess."

"I'm gonna miss you too chickadee. I'll tell you about all the girls and the Prince okay?"

Paisley nodded and we kept our goodbye short and sweet. I was worried if it was any longer I wouldn't be able to leave. I waved to everyone one last time and got into the car.

So... I knew that I wanted Dahlia to view August as a father figure but when it comes to their scenes together Dahlia kinda takes control and all script goes out the window. Anyway I may or may not be crying because I love Dahlia and August's dynamic so much. Soon Dahlia will be in the Palace. How will Dahlia and Micah meet?