Chapter 4

TW

Dahlia's POV (Friday, The Report)

Tonight we find out what 35 girls are apart of the selection. Paisley was thrilled and I had to admit I was excited to find out who was going. Paisley and I had spent the morning the studio. In the afternoon Paisley sold a few painting and I managed to sell 2 of my sculptures. We went home Paisley talking about The Report the entire walk. 

"Ok but what if they're all horrible and you're the only good one there?"

"First of all, don't think that way it's just rude! Second, it's not very likely I'll get chosen. There are so many great girls applying!"

"You don't think that way! They just have to pick you!"

"We'll see what happens chickadee." I had to laugh at how insistent she was.

I opened the door and saw mom reading on the couch. She looked up at us when she heard the door open. "Hi girls," she greeted "there are still some cookies in the kitchen if you want some." Paisley rushed to the kitchen immediately. She had declared that snickerdoodles were her new favorite treat last night. 

"Mom is there anything you need me to help with?"

"Well I do need to send a letter to your Aunt Juno actually! Could you take it to the post office sometime today?"

"For sure! I'll stop by soon."

"Alright sweetie. I'm playing for Mrs. Bradford's tea party today so I'll be across the street if you need anything!"

"Ok! See ya later mom!" 

Mom played for the Bradford's basically every other Friday for Mrs. Bradford's tea parties. Mrs. Bradford refused to listen anyone but my mom play piano. I personally found it hilarious. I sat down and for about fifteen minutes I sat and read my music book. I decided I would just go to the post office now. I know the Illea's have a shift down there today so maybe I'll run into them.

"Paisley I'm going down to the post office I'll back soon!" I shouted to my sister.

"Ok! Don't be mad if the cookies are gone when you get back!"

Slipping on my flats and grabbing moms letter I set off for the post office. When I got there I handed the letter to a worker who would make sure it got to Belcourt. Belcourt is the province Aunt Juno lives in. I spotted August and Georgia getting ready to leave and made my way over to them.

"Hey guys! How are you today!"

"We're doing good. How are you?" Georgia asked.

As I was about to respond sirens started blaring. We all knew what that meant and ran out into the street before anyone could stop us. While the Northern Rebels were satisfied with the castes being gone the Southerns still attacked often and not only on the Palace. They attacked in the provinces and one of their favorites was Kent. It was where a lot of Northern Rebels were and so whenever they made their way up here they just had to attack. Ever since what Georgia claims to be an anonymous source had armed us - I'm pretty sure it was Queen America - it had become our job of sorts to subdue the Southerners when we could. 

"Do you think everyone else has made it inside?" I asked

"I hope so. This street seems pretty empty luckily." August replied. 

The last time they attacked the alarms didn't go off. A lot of people were killed. We ran into Samuel another rebel I was friends with and he handed me a gun. Great. Just great. If we needed to be armed that meant there were probably a lot of them. August, Georgia, and I all split up sticking to the shadows. I saw a man covered in grime grab a young woman and pin her up against a wall. Ok gross. He seemed to be holding a knife as well against the women's shoulder. Instinctively before he could do anything I shot him the leg. He collapsed and I saw a few officers turn the corner and rush over. One of them cuffed the man while the other 2 led the woman away. I ran into about 7 more southerners and shot them in either the leg or the arm before I grouped back up with August and Georgia. The officers cleared it and everyone went back outside and returned to their normal live just slightly more shaken up.