Behind the scenes: Thoughts of writing KH: Advent

Just before the Kalm saga starts, time for some discussions and interactions! In the bonus 'chapter' I'll discuss some behind the scenes aspects of this story!

My history of Kingdom Hearts:
When I was in middle school, there was this friend of mine who used to come over to my home a lot, and since I had a PS2, she would sometimes bring her copy of Kingdom Hearts 2. I thought the game seemed interesting and I had wanted to get into the series, but I never did find a copy of Kingdom Hearts 1 on PS2. Years later, when I had managed to play my first Kingdom Hearts game, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the GBA. Let's just say while the game was fun... I was confused as heck at what was going on... that is until I had found the Kingdom Hearts manga at my local book store and read it. However, soon afterwards Kingdom Hearts would be rereleased on PS3 as Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix... and I got it, had my mind blown that the version given to us was the formerly Japanese exclusive Final Mix version, and loved it. I had became a HUGE Kingdom Hearts fan. Then when I graduated high school in 2016, I got a brand new copy of Kingdom Hearts 2.5 Remix as a graduation present from my mom. Kingdom Hearts 2 became, and remains to be my FAVORITE of all the Kingdom Hearts games. And while I was disappointed a bit by Kingdom Hearts 3 when that came out... I did love the game and it was really good... it just didn't match the level of excitement KH2 did for me, but I still thought it was an amazing experience. Now, I wait almost impatiently for the next Kingdom Hearts game... especially since that Yozora fight at the end of Kingdom Hearts 3's DLC Re:Mind got me super intriged.

My history with Final Fantasy 7:
The game I always wanted to play but never got a chance to. I grew up during the PS2 era of gaming as a small kid, and was a teenager during the PS3 era. But ever since I was little, I had always wanted to play Final Fantasy 7. However, I did, for many years, watch playthroughs of the game with no commentary, to experience the story. Aerith's... fate... hurt so much.

Why I decided to write this story?
When I heard people discuss the fact that many of them wanted for Sora to visit worlds from Final Fantasy and by extention the prime versions of the FF characters he'd met along his journey, I thought the idea sounded rather compelling. Sora interacting with characters who may look and sound the same and may even have the same name as people he knew, but still are fundamentally different characters seemed like a fun twist to experiment with in the world of Kingdom Hearts.

I aged Sora up, simply so I wouldn't feel compelled to change or readjust Sora as a person or as a character every time a new piece of KH media came out.  This older version of Sora, betrayed by the people he once protected, thrown into a new world as a 2nd chance at life really allowed me to explore just how tramtic the events of Sora's life could become for him. That despite everything he did, a peace keeping organization feared his power and sealed him away for a time... only intendimg to unleash him should any one challenge them.

If this is not supposed to be a retelling of the FF7 remake version of events, why use elements from FF7 remake?
FF7 remake is more KH-like than the original game... and I also thought it would be cool to mix concepts from the two versions to make a different one. I want to pay as much respect to the newly released remake as I hope I manage to pay to the original.

Is this a one book thing?
No. I said in a comment months ago that I intend for KH Advent to become it's own fanfic series, which shows Sora travelling to multiple FF worlds and meeting the FF versions of the characters he once knew. I haven't yet decided which FF game story to adapt next... but I'm leaning on Final Fantasy 8 due to the prescense of Leon... I mean Squall!

What Disney properties will be used in a KH style fashion for Yusuke's adventure?
Well.... I'll say this... since this is fanfiction... anything is possible... maybe even something... epic?