Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A/N: The Kataang is really starting to pick up and it's exciting! Let me know what you think!

Disclaimer: I do not own Avatar: The Last Airbender or any of its characters!

————————————————————————

While walking to the cafeteria with Aang, Katara was struggling to get that awkward experience out of her mind, and she was failing at it quite miserably. Katara couldn't help but think to herself, was he going to kiss me, no of course he wasn't, he doesn't even know me, he doesn't even like me, right?

Just then as if reading her mind Aang started to speak to her, "You know I've told you guys all this stuff about me and my life," he stopped walking and turned towards Katara, causing her to stop and face him too, "Now it's your turn, come on tell me about yourself."

"Okay, what do you want to know?" She asked him.

"Everything!" he stated with a smile, causing her to blush madly.

They both began to walk and she started to tell him all about her life, "Well, let's see, My names Katara, im 16, I'm from the Southern Water Tribe, I'm a Waterbender, Sokka is my brother, and um... Oh, I love art!"

"Art, huh, that's really cool" He said, causing her to blush again. Calm down Katara, he's just being nice, she thought to herself as the blush faded.

"Why didn't you tell me you were a Waterbender?" He asked as they continued walking.

"Well, you didn't ask." She told him jokingly.

"Fair enough" He responded, shrugging his shoulders causing them both to bust out laughing.

As they rounded the corner and the cafeteria came into view neither one wanted to go inside, they both wished that they could just walk around together forever. They knew once they went inside that it would no longer be the two of them but the whole group. Just then an idea popped into Aang's head.

"Katara," he asked as they stopped walking, "will you meet me outside the dorms tomorrow before school? Maybe we can go get breakfast together or something?"

She smiled and looked him in those breathtaking grey eyes and told him, "I'd like that, I'd really like that." He blushed and they both took a deep breath before walking into the cafeteria.

When they walked in they looked around for a minute before spotting their friends sitting at a table in the back of the room. When they got to the table they sat down across from one another, since they were the only seats left.

"Hey guys, when did you get here?" Sokka asked with a mouthful of what appeared to be chicken.

"Just now" Aanh set with a bit of twinge in his voice from seeing the boy chewing up the chicken. After all, Aang had been taught that all life was sacred, and was raised as a vegetarian. While he acknowledged that it was a personal choice and people were entitled to their own opinion, it still made him feel a bit sick. I'm sure I'll get used to it, he thought to himself and cleared his throat before saying, "So what'd we miss?"

Zuko turned his face to Aang and told him, "We were just about to compare schedules."

At that everybody took out their schedules and Aang pulled his out of his back pocket where he had been keeping it. It had just dawned on him that he had never even looked at it until now.

Aang examined his schedule and had a slight panic attack when he got to his 4th period Combat Class. After getting to know Katara and his new friends he had completely forgotten about his meeting with Iroh.

Just then Katara turned to Aang and asked to see his schedule, reluctantly he handed it to her while trying to come up with a reason for an Airbender to be enrolled in a Waterbending class.

"Lets see, we have a couple classes together, 1st period science, 4th period Waterbending, 6th period art, and we all have 7th period history together." Just then it dawned on her. "Wait Aang, why are you taking Waterbending if you're an Airbender?' She asked the Airbending boy.

I really hope this works, he thought before saying, "Well they don't have an Airbending class and Waterbending techniques transfer pretty well to Airbending so I thought I would try it out." Luckly Toph was in her own conversation, so she wasn't able to pick up on Aang's lie.

"That makes sense." Katara told him as she handed back his schedule.A few minutes of talking passed before Toph stood up and said, "Well this has been fun and all but I'm whooped."

"Yeah I'm pretty tired too" Suki said, stretching her arms towards the sky.

Zuko stood up and said, "Plus, classes start tomorrow, so we should probably get some sleep."

Everybody nodded their heads and gave groans of agreement. Once they were all standing they walked towards and out the doors, headed back towards the dorms. Toph led the way, with Sokka and Suki walking behind her, Zuko and Mai hand in hand behind them, with Aang and Katara bringing up the rear. Not a word was said, but it wasn't an awkward silence, instead it was just peaceful. They reached the staircase and Toph Earthbended a platform to bring them to the 3rd floor. They stepped off and walked down the hall until they arrived at their rooms. Toph went inside, and the couples said their goodnights, leaving just Aang and Katara alone in the hallway.

"Well, I guess I'll see you in the morning." Aang said while rubbing the back of his neck.

"Yeah, I'll see you then." Katara responded, pulling him into a hug.

Shocked, Aang accepted the embrace and leaned into it. Something about this just feels right, they both thought. Then as they pulled away something came over Katara and she just couldn't help herself, she leaned in and gave Aang a quick kiss on the cheek, leaving them both blushing madly. Aang was frozen in place when Katara backed away and reached for the doorknob.

"Goodnight Aang." she said in a soft voice that made him melt

"Goodnight Katara." Aang responded still standing in his spot.

With that Katara, opened the door and walked inside. Smiling, she sighed and leaned her back against the door, thinking about what tomorrow would bring. She noticed that Toph and Mai were already asleep and that Suki was in the shower. Katara decided she would shower in the morning, walked towards her bag, grabbed a pair of shorts and a tee shirt and got dressed for bed. She set her alarm for 6am and layed down falling asleep, thinking about the dreamy, grey eyed boy.

Aang wasn't sure how long he had been standing there. Finally coming to his senses he turned around and walked into his room. All the lights were already off and the only sound was of Sokka's faint snoring. Aang, not even bothering to get undressed, laid down on his bed staring up at the ceiling. A few minutes passed before he decided that he wasn't going to be able to fall asleep. He grabbed his phone and checked the time, 11:43pm. Using the faint light from his phone he checked to make sure both Sokka and Zuko were asleep. He stood up and grabbed his glider, quietly walking out the door and closing it. He walked out of the hallway and up the stairs until he was on the 6th and top floor. He opened his glider and jumped off the balcony, using his Airbending skills to maneuver it he headed towards the highest point on campus, the clock tower.

Once above the tower he folded his glider and used Airbending to break his fall, landing on the roof with a light thud. He walked towards the edge and sat down. He stayed there for a while just staring up at the moon, its yellow glow shining down on the young Avatar like a spotlight. Aang didn't realize how long he had been sitting there until he checked the time, it read 2:13am. Aang stood up, opening his glider and took off back towards the dorms, flying quietly through the night sky. He landed on the roof and walked down the stairs to the 3rd floor, through the hallway, and into his room. Being extra quiet as not to wake the sleeping boys, he placed his glider in the corner, kicked off his shoes, set his alarm for 6am and laid down. He fell asleep to thoughts of the beautiful, blue eyed girl.

To Be Continued...