1 // cross country meets

let's go maddie. one mile left, i thought to myself as i got to the top of the huge hill on the 3.1 mile cross country course.
i was currently in 8th place in the high school girls varsity race. i was sitting behind a group of 3 girls from the same school and now would be the perfect time to pass them.
"800 meters left Maddie! You gotta go NOW." i heard from someone along the course, probably my coach.
as i approached the 400 meter mark, i started to sprint.
ouch, my stomach, i thought as i got a major side stitch, but instead of slowing down, i started to run faster.
i passed the group of girls and 1 other girl and finished my race in 4th place and immediately collapsed at the finish line.
"hun, ya gotta get up," said a lady from the sports medicine staff at the finish line as she grabbed my arm and pulled me up.
i put my arms above my head and took a seat in one of the chairs.
then i took off my racing chip and walked back to the team camp where my foster mom, Callie, was waiting for me.
"amazing job, maddie. i'm so proud of you." Callie said and pulled me in for a hug.
"thanks." i replied completely out of breath as i rummaged through my bag to find my inhaler.
"milkshakes later?" Callie asked.
i smiled. "um duh. of course. i'll see you when i get back to the school."
"okay," she started, "i'll be there to get you from the bus. just text me as soon as you leave here."
since we're currently at an away meet, i have to ride the bus with my team. otherwise, i'd just have callie take me home now.
"will do." i said, and then i ran off to find my coach to talk about my race.