Bop to the top

! Important !: They are just best friends! 

"Why would I even bother auditioning? The drama teacher doesn't see me as anything more than a tree or a fork", I say.

"Come on, Nini. You love acting, singing and dancing. The drama club is the club for you and they are doing 'High School Musical: the musical', your favorite Disneymovie. If you ask me, it's a sign of the universe that's telling you to audition!", Ricky tries to convince me.

"Ricky, I've been auditioning for the schoolmusical the past 2 years and I've always gotten some lame role. Why would this year be any different? It's not that I suddenly can sing, dance and act?", I say

"Are you trying to say you think you can't sing, dance and act?", Ricky says. I look down. I do indeed think I'm a terrible singer, actor and dancer.

"You're kidding right? Nini, come on! You have the voice of an angel. Really! You're the most incredible singer I've ever heard. And saying you can't act is also bullshit. I always fall for your lies!" He says.

"Okay, I can't deny that your dancing isn't terrible, but lucky for you, your singing and acting can make up for that.", he smirks. I look up and give him a little shove. "You know what I mean, Nins. You are amazing and you deserve to have a real role in the musical this year. But you ain't going to get it if you don't audition."

"I'm scared, okay? You are now putting all this thoughts in my head that I'm talented and I'm going to get a bigger role than last years, but deep down you and I both know it's not going to happen. I just don't want to be disappointed again.", I say.

It's true, every year Ricky convinces me I'm talented and that I deserve the lead role, but every year I end up getting the most stupid roles of the musical. I mean, who would get excited for playing the back of the cow or some stupid tree? I keep on getting my hopes up.

"Nini please. I know I say this every year and every year it turns out even worse than the year before but I'm just saying all this because I believe in you! I wouldn't try to convince you to audition every year if I didn't think you have it in you to have a bigger role." He says, while holding me by my shoulders. I don't want to look in his eyes, because I can feel tears starting to form in my eyes. But I know Ricky, I know what his next move will be. He will force me to look in his eyes by lifting my head up with a single finger under my chin.

And right when I think of it, he does exactly what I thought he would do.

"Nini, I don't know what I have to do to show you the Nini I see. This amazing, talented, beautiful, confident, caring, hardworking, kind, dedicated, sweet Nini. I really want you to see yourself the way I do. And I thought auditioning for the musical would help you.", he says.

Uuurgh, why does he have to be so sweet? He knows this is the way to get to me. And I know I shouldn't give in but I can't help myself.

"Fine, but this is the last time. If I don't get a somewhat bigger role this year I won't bother trying anymore", I say.

"Yes! And who knows what's going to happen this year? There's a new drama teacher so it's like a complete new start, a clean sweep for everyone!", he says.

He's right, this new dramateacher doesn't know that all I've ever done is play those stupid parts. Maybe this is my chance.

Wait, no! Nini, please! Don't get your hopes up! Don't get to excited, we're going into this audition with no expectations! That way you won't be disappointed like you always are after the auditions!

Yes, we're going that way. No expectations, no more getting hurt!

The rest of the day, I walk around stressing about the auditions. I guess I don't hide it that well because Ricky keeps giving me gentle squeezes in my hand to reassure me everything will be okay.

I know they will be. That's the thing about Ricky. Even if I don't get the role I wanted, Ricky will always be there to cheer me up. He's literally the most amazing best friend I could ever ask for. I don't know what I would do without him.

After last period I run my lines one more time in the hall and wait on Ricky to go to the theatre together, because we didn't have last period together. I do some breathing exercises to calm myself down before I feel 2 arms wrap around my neck from behind and a chin resting on my shoulder.

"You ready?", I hear him whisper in my ear.

I turn around and look in his eyes. He looks so confident, I don't get how he does it. I nod slightly and he takes my hand and we walk together to the theatre.

Before we enter it, he stops me before the door.

"Hey, whatever happens in there. Please remember that I'll always be proud of you. Now, go shine, but just be yourself. If that isn't good enough, then they are missing out on the most amazing girl in the whole school.", he says

"Thank you, Ricky, for everything", I say before giving him the biggest hug ever. I take one deep breath before entering the theatre, Ricky following me in.

I see so many talented kids auditioning, there are amazing dancers here, amazing singers, actors, it's incredible.

I was getting lost in my thoughts when I suddenly hear the drama teacher, who I learnt her name is Miss Jenn, call out my name. I guess it's my turn. I'm just going up there and do what Ricky told me, be myself.

"Hello, I'm Nini Salazar-Roberts and I'm a junior and I would like to audition for Gabriella.", I say. I see Ricky looking shocked in the audience. I know I have not shot at getting Gabriella but it worth a shot right. And she can always cast me as someone else if she likes.

"Go ahead", Miss Jenn says.

"Livin' in my own world, didn't understand
That anything can happen when you take a chance
I never believed in what I couldn't see
I never opened my heart to all the possibilities, oh

I know that somethin' has changed
Never felt this way
And right here, tonight

This could be the start of something new
It feels so right to be here with you, oh
And now, lookin' in your eyes
I feel in my heart (feel in my heart)
The start of somethin' new"

I literally sang my heart out and by the end of it I see Ricky giving me a standing ovation. He's too cute. I look at Miss Jenn's face and she's smiling. That's a good thing, right?

After a few more auditions Miss Jenn clears the theatre, because she has to think about the casting.

So now I'm pacing back and forth in the hallway, stressing about the cast list. I really want some role that involves being a human and having some lines. I really don't need anything more. That would give me some motivation to work harder to get a bigger role the next year and to work my way up like that.

My thoughts are interrupted by Miss Jenn strutting down the hallway with a huge green poster in her hands, which I think is the castlist. I give a panicking look at Ricky as he takes my hand and drags me over to it.

I hesitantly look at it and see that my name's the first one on the list, next to the name of Gabriella.

Wait? Did I just get casted as Gabriella? The lead role? No way? I can't believe it!

Ricky picks me up and spins me around before hugging me so tightly I can hardly breath.

"I guess you just bopped to the top, Nins!", he whispers in my ear, "I'm so incredibly proud of you!"

I guess I just did, huh? But one thing is for sure. I couldn't do this without Ricky.

Hope you liked it! 

Hugs and kisses!