Breaking free

We did it! We graduated high school. Off we go now. Off to college. The graduation itself was amazing, the speech Ashlyn gave as valedictorian was emotional and the feeling when we all threw our caps in the air was something I never felt before!

I'm so grateful that I got to experience my senior year at East High. I'm happy I declined the offer of the YAC. I'm sure I would have the time of my life there, but so am I here at East High and that with all my best friends and boyfriend. What could I want more?

After the actual graduation we head to Ashlyn for a graduation party. Ever since that one thanksgiving party last year, we celebrate everything at her house. She has this amazing house and her parents are almost never home. And another bonus, Gina moved in with her until high school is over, so it has become our main hangout spot.

Everyone is inside, having fun, drinking, dancing, singing, but I'm not. I'm outside, watching the stars.

I've never been a partygirl, it's not that I don't like them, I just find them pretty overwhelming. So I often take a break from all the chaos inside and go outside for a moment, just to get myself back together.

I'm just enjoying the silence when I hear the door opening behind me. I quickly turn my head to see who came outside and I'm surprised to see Ricky standing at the door.

"Ow, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were here already.", he says before turning back to walk inside again.

"Oh no, I don't mind. I can use some company." I say. He smiles and comes back outside. He sits down next to me and we watch the stars together.

"They're beautiful", I hear him whisper.

"They really are", I reply. I rest my head on his shoulder and enjoy his presence.

"Nini?" he says quietly.

"Yeah?" I say quietly back.

"Do you ever think about the future?", he asks. I'm confused. Why would he ask me that?

"Yeah of course, although I try not to, because I'm scared I'll miss the present." I reply.

"How do you envision it?", he asks

"I don't know, first college and after that I'll settle somewhere and find a job or something." I say. I really haven't thought that much about life after college. I guess I'm too scared to do so.

"Do you see me in your future? You can be honest.", he asks quietly.

"Is this what this is about?" I say.

"Neens, can you please just answer the question, I really need to know.", he replies, sounding kinda desperate.

"Yes Ricky, of course I see you in my future. You're the only thing I'm certain of in my future." I answer honest.

"I guess I'm scared college is going to destroy us" he says. I can't blame him for being scared, I'm scared as well.

"You're not alone, but I like to believe we can overcome everything life throws at us." I say. "I know I can say whatever I want, but it's what I believe and I want you to know that. I'm not planning on leaving you anywhere soon. You know I love you right?"

"I love you too Neens" he says. I turn so we face each other and I look deep into his eyes. I can still see some fear in his eyes. I slowly lean in and gently press my lips on his. After I pull away the fear in his eyes is gone and is replaced with love.

"I know all this change is scary but see it as a new chapter in our life. We now have all this freedom we haven't experienced yet but we will soon. And don't worry we will do it together. We might be breaking free, but we will break free together. Never doubt that!" I say before I engulf him in a big hug, and I'm pretty sure I'm not letting go anytime soon.