We're all in this together

This is the third text I've gotten today and first period is not even over. I look around to see if anyone is on his phone, but it seems like the whole class doesn't pay attention to Mr. Mazzara, because literally everyone is on their phone.

I've been getting texts from an unknown number for 3 weeks now. It seems to get worse. At first it was like 1 or 2 a day and I could handle it back then. I didn't let them get to me, but it has evolved in 1 or 2 texts an hour. At some point I started to believe the things they told me and I started feeling more and more insecure. I started to doubt the person I am and wanted to change myself to make them to like me, but there's only one problem: Ricky.

I haven't told Ricky any of this. I guess I don't want him to worry. Maybe I also don't want to show them the texts because of the fear I have that once he sees them, he will realize they are right and he will leave me.

Ricky and I have been best friends since kindergarten. I started liking Ricky in tenth grade and to be honest, it scared the hell out of me. I was terrified from the things I felt towards Ricky. I was so scared those butterflies would ruin our friendship, so I kept them for myself.

So that's what I've been doing for some years now. Denying the feelings that are definitely there. It's kinda stupid I thought I would get over it, because I'm most certainly not. The older we get, the more the feelings grow. It's difficult but I manage. Everything for Ricky.

So the same is with this text thing. It's difficult to keep it a secret for Ricky, but I manage. I'm doing this for us.

I'm so lost in my thoughts, I missed the bell. I come back to reality when I see a hand waving in front of me. I shake my head and look at whose hand it is. Of course it's Ricky's.

"Hey there, you okay? You zoned out again.", he smiles. I give him a smile back and nod.

"Yeah, everything is great. Just lost in my thoughts again.", I chuckle.

"I sometimes would like to know what's in that pretty head of yours", he says laughing. I laugh with him so that he wouldn't make me tell him. "Hey, you're still on for movienight tonight, right?", he asks

"Of course, wouldn't miss it for the world. When have I ever missed a movienight?" I reply.

"Great, my place or yours?", he asks.

"My moms have a datenight tonight, so I'm home alone. You can come to my house if you want", I say.

"Sure!", he says. "Sleepover included?"

"You don't even have to ask" I smile.

We walk together to the next class, when I'm interrupted by the sound of my phone. Great...

I stop walking and take out my phone to read the text.

Is that cute curly head still sticking around you? I'm surprised he hasn't noticed what a whore and piece of sh*t you really are.

Ricky notices I stopped walking and turned around.

"Everything okay?" he asks. I look up and put my best fake smile on my face.

"Yeah, it's my mom." I lie.

"What did she want?" he asks.

"Oh, nothing important." I lie.

I'm glad he didn't ask further. We continue walking towards our next class.

The day continues to go how it started. Boring classes, but a lot of texts.

Our last period was PE. I couldn't wait for it to end. I was so relieved when I heard the bell. I'm the complete opposite from an athlete. I hate PE, sporting in those dirty clothes getting all sweaty. No thanks...

I change back in my other clothes and wait for Ricky by his car. Ever since he got his license, he drives me to school. Rides with Ricky are amazing, especially because he lets me connect with the aux, so we literally have a carpool karaoke every day. Those rides are literally the best times of the day.

I scroll through my phone, trying to decide which songs I will put on this time when I get another text from the unknown number.

Doesn't your little friend show up? Maybe he finally realized you're worth nothing

How does this person know that Ricky's late? That would have to mean he can see me waiting here. I anxiously start to look around.

"Hey, you alright?", I hear someone say. I quickly turn around and see Ricky looking confused.

"Uhm, yeah yeah.", I reply quietly.

"Whatever you say, Neens", he says. He opens his car and gets in the car, I open the door and step in but not before I take one last look at everyone in the parking lot. One of them have to be the one who's been bugging me this past weeks. I shake my head and close the door, turning to Ricky with a fake smile.

"You've decided the carpool karaoke song already?" he smirks.

"Of course I have, who do you think I am?" I joke. I quickly connect and a few seconds later 'We're all in this together' is blasting through the speakers.

"Seriously?" Ricky chuckles.

"Sorry, I'm in a High School Musical mood", I laugh. "Do you mind?"

"No, not at all" he replies.

As soon as the lyrics start, we start singing along.

In no time we arrive at my house and we get inside. We immediately go upstairs and Ricky jumps on my bed.

"Hey, you mind if I take a quick shower before we start movienight? I had PE and I feel dirty." I ask Ricky, who's laying on my bed.

"No not at all, I'll just wait here", he replies.

I take a quick shower and when I get out of the bathroom, freshly washed, I see Ricky standing in my room with my phone in his hands. He looks up to me with this disappointed look on his face.

"When were you going to tell me?", he says angrily.

"Ricky...", I say

"You weren't, right?", he says. "I can't believe you, how can you keep something like this from me?"

"Why were you looking in my phone?", I whisper

"It wasn't on purpose. You constantly got new texts and I was going to put it on silent mode, until I saw the first text.", he says, "How long has this been going on?"

"Ricky..."

"How long, Nini?", he repeats

"A few weeks" I answer quietly.

"I can't believe you... We're supposed to be a team, Nini. It's Ricky and Nini, what happened with that?", he says.

"I- I didn't want you to see me differently...", I admit. "I didn't want to lose you"

"Nini, come on. Listen to yourself, you really think I would leave you when you would have told me?", he asks. I don't dare to look in his eyes so I keep staring at the ground. He takes a step towards me until he's in front of me. He lifts my head with his finger under my chin, to make me look into his eyes.

"Nina Salazar-Roberts, I wouldn't leave you, you're stuck with me until the end of our days.", he says. I let out a little laugh, while tears start to form in my eyes. "Do you know who it is?"

I shake my head. He drops his hand from under my chin and takes my hand to lead me to the bed. We sit on the bed and he wraps his arms around me and we cuddle a bit.

"Never forget Nini, we are all in this together", he says before giving me a quick kiss on my head.

Hope you liked it! 

Hugs and kisses!